Grounding enclosures using plastic isolated jacks

Started by Beo, December 06, 2010, 12:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beo

What are some recommended ways of connecting ground to an aluminum enclosure if I'm using plastic isolated jacks? My thought is to use a solder lug washer on one of the jacks, pots or the stomp switch. I'd rather not have another hold in the enclosure for a grounding screw.

pravudh

I alway solder ground wire form pcb to jacket pot (one pot only).

Hides-His-Eyes

I'm tempted to get some countersunk bolts and solder tags for this job.

slacker

All the plastic jacks I've ever used have washers on them, so what I do is get a length of wire and strip a couple of inches off one end, fan it out a bit and wrap it round one of the washers. Fit the jack to the pedal bolting it up nice and tight to get a good contact between the wire wrapped washer and the enclosure and then solder the other end of the wire to the ring of the jack, or some other ground point.

Lurco

Nick Catalinbread somewhere wrote that he liked the Electro Harmonix pcb-mounted groundspring so much that he is now using it in all his pedals!

Hides-His-Eyes

I'm not convinced that that's viable for anyone not board mounting everything/using proper standoffs to keep it totally steady.

The best grounding design I've seen were ground pads on the PCB used to connect the PCB to the standoffs. Really elegant solution, only worked for a custom die cast enclosure though (Snarling Dogs)

knealebrown

ive done it this way before, with the solder tags before, works great. Its six and two threes tbh
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

Paul Marossy

I solder a wire from ground to the washer on the footswitch (or one of the other switches, if present).

Beo

Thanks for all the answers folks. Seems that there is quite a variety of solutions that work.