Wisest use of BBD chips- SAD1024 and MN3011

Started by imaradiostar, January 10, 2011, 12:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imaradiostar

I recently asked an older electronics tech friend if he might happen to have any NM3102 chips laying around and he didn't- but he said he had some other MN numbered chips. I asked some more questions and he showed up at work with a few SAD1024's and an MN3011 for me!

So I was thinking I'd make a nice flanger with the SAD1024 and keep one as a spare and use the MN3011 for a really nice chorus. Any hints or suggestions?

thanks!

jamie
Hi! I like to build stuff. Sometimes, when life slows down a little bit, I even get to build stuff for myself and others rather than just for work.

Scruffie

I have an SAD1024 A/DA Flanger PCB if you wanna buy it.

The MN3011... dunno of any choruses that use it, you'd have to design it, probably best to save that and the other SAD1024 for repairs or sell them to someone that needs them for a repair.

anchovie

Quote from: Scruffie on January 10, 2011, 12:46:54 AM
The MN3011... dunno of any choruses that use it

It was intended for reverbs. Do a search of the forum for the part number and you should find some posts from Mark Hammer saying that nowadays there are much better parts for doing an IC-based reverb. It's probably most useful to someone who needs to repair a vintage effect.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

imaradiostar

Thanks for the replies.

How much do you want for the board, Scruffie?

I've read all the posts I could find on the MN3011. I have no interest in using it for reverb though I'd sell it to someone who needed it to repair a vintage effect. I like the idea of using it for a chorus because it can create the illusion of a multiple voice chorus effect without the need for multiple BBD's. I'm picturing running it at relatively high clock speeds and using a 570 compandor to keep it as clean as possible. I'd connect the outputs using center off toggle switches so I can connect each one to nothing or the left or right outputs as desired. It would only be a little more complex than building any of the BBD+compandor delays out there. I haven't done the math on how it'll effect the pitch change but in theory it should create a nice thickening effect with the pitch changes lagging eachother left and right. It should make for an amazing chorus effect.

Maybe I'll breadboard it without the 570 just to see how it sounds.

jamie
Hi! I like to build stuff. Sometimes, when life slows down a little bit, I even get to build stuff for myself and others rather than just for work.

Mark Hammer

Get hold of the schematics for the A/DA Stereo Tapped Delay (STD-1) and start draming.

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 10, 2011, 09:04:12 AM
Get hold of the schematics for the A/DA Stereo Tapped Delay (STD-1) and start draming.
I'll vote for that too if you are compitent enough to breadboard such a thing, the thought scares me.

And I paid $31 for the board so around that.

imaradiostar

Thanks, sent a personal message.

Does anyone have a sound sample or schematic for the STD-1? I looked briefly but didn't find anything.

jamie

Scruffie

Quote from: imaradiostar on January 10, 2011, 11:56:55 AM
Thanks, sent a personal message.

Does anyone have a sound sample or schematic for the STD-1? I looked briefly but didn't find anything.

jamie
No sound samples as far as I know (I do know Metallica used one on the Master of Puppets album, so I guess the chorus, delay etc. you hear on any of that might be the A/DA)

But here's the schematic http://www.adadepot.com/adagear/gearpages/effects/ADA-STD-1.htm

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Scruffie on January 10, 2011, 11:28:50 AM
I'll vote for that too if you are compitent enough to breadboard such a thing, the thought scares me.

Where on earth did you get a board for it?  DO tell.

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 10, 2011, 12:56:56 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on January 10, 2011, 11:28:50 AM

Where on earth did you get a board for it?  DO tell.
Not the A/DA STD-1 i'm afraid Mark, I wish I got one of those! It's a A/DA Flanger PCB, bought it off a forum member but then used my SAD1024 in a repair so it's been sitting around.

Mark Hammer

Okay, I'll put that dream in the bin with the banana peels and used yogurt containers. :icon_sad:

imaradiostar

Wow that A/DA unit is pretty neat. I wish I could get my hands on just the motherboard for one- it has most of the goodies that would be important to guitar effect usage.

It would be an ambitious project to build the A/DA. I think a simplified version would be worth it. I wish I could know how it would sound before I went through all this work!

jamie

ScottB

deja vu, I was just asking about a possible BB connection on another post, just fishing though really.

Scruffie

Quote from: imaradiostar on January 10, 2011, 04:50:50 PM
Wow that A/DA unit is pretty neat. I wish I could get my hands on just the motherboard for one- it has most of the goodies that would be important to guitar effect usage.

It would be an ambitious project to build the A/DA. I think a simplified version would be worth it. I wish I could know how it would sound before I went through all this work!

jamie
Going by A/DAs other work, I'm expecting good things, highly sought after unit.

Plus, Chorus, Flanger & Delay all in one box? Can't go too far wrong really.

I did my best to find a good recording of an '86 show Metallica when they would have been using it, mostly poor tape bootlegs though, the intro to this shows it doing chorus though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_9FdC8HNWM&feature=related

Picture of Kirks '86 Rig showing it (2nd Image Down) - http://funksheet.blogspot.com/2009/08/kirk-hammetts-gear.html

imaradiostar

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the info and the clip.

I'm most excited about the idea of having a stereo delay that isn't much more complex than a mono delay but will have multiple voices and the ability to have a left/right pitch difference- a true multivoice chorus!

jamie

Mark Hammer

The STD-1 is a fairly complex beast.  However, the MN3011 is just another MN30xx series BBD.  In theory, you can plunk it into any MN3007-based design you want, and once you figure out how you want to divvy up and mix the taps, you're in business.  In contrast to those chorus pedals that purport to be stero and cancel out in air when run in stereo, this would have two completely distinct voices at a time - TRUE stereo.

drbob1

I'm just looking at the inside of my Rocktron Prochorus. Stereo with 6 taps and variable waveform BUT it also uses multiple flip-flop chips, multiple op amps, multiple quad switches and Schmidt? switches for a total IC count of 23! Not a cost effective project, I suspect...

Mark Hammer

Wow.  I was completely unaware of that one.  Thanks for that info.  I can't view many pix from work, but will certainly look at its innards later tonight from home, since Google indicates such pix exist.

Makes me wonder if there is a schematic around.