Eagle question - Text with ground pour

Started by chi_boy, January 22, 2011, 05:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chi_boy

When working with a board with a ground pour, is there a way to designate text so that the letters themselves will be subtracted from the ground pour?

I'm probably not explaining this well, but when I enter text, the text is by default on the bottom layer.  If the text is in an open space on the board, the letters remain in copper after etching.  I'm after the oposite affect.  I want the text in the ground pour area, but Eagle puts a surrounding rectagle around the text and subtracts that from the ground polygon.  Is it possible to have Eagle subtract only the letters themselves?

I've searched quite a bit for the answer but have found nothing.

Thanks for the help.

George
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

chi_boy

Bumping off of page 2.

I've continued to search and at this point I don't think it can be done directly through Eagle.  I think the text would need to be added in an image software of some kind and then printed.  Would be nice if someone could prove me wrong.  I really like the convenience of printing right to a PDF.

Cheers,
George
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

aflynt

chi_boy

I thought I did, but I must be missing something when I do.  I read that elsewhere too.

This is what I get:

What I'm after is this:   ( Not the font, just the apearance.  Vector would be fine )

The Leftover PCB Page

aflynt

Sorry. Thought you were just trying to get rid of the rectangle and get it to flow with the letters. Not sure how you'd do that without editing the image in photoshop or something before etching (obviously no help if it's being fabbed).

-Aaron

defaced

If you're getting this fabbed, the design may get rejected if the text in the copper doesn't obey their design rules for clearance.  This caused me ALOT of headache last year when I was getting some boards made. 

Move the text to another layer, like the via or pad layer.  Create a second polygon, label it GND as well, and make its width zero (this will set isolate to zero as well).  Place the text within this second polygon and set it's ratio to zero.  Presto, text in copper. 

-Mike