Newbie Question - Transistor substiution in a Fuzzmite

Started by shovelhead138, January 25, 2011, 01:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovelhead138

I am new here, so please don't judge me too hard, but i have a very basic question that i am sure ya'll have answered a billion times over. i am looking to build the Mosrite Fuzzmite pedal that has been floating around here, and noted the two transistors are 2N2613 and 2N408 respectively. As i am to understand these are hard to find, so would you think the 2N3906 Mid-Gain PNP Transistors sold here in the store would make OK substitute? i am not a super stickler that it has to be exact, but just thought it would be fun project to attempt. if those transistors are "close enough", i would be happy. if you know of any other transistors that would make a good substitute let me know.
I am happy I found this board and am totally overwhelmed by the awesome info shared on here.

Cheers,
Brian
Baton Rouge, LA

LucifersTrip

Quote from: shovelhead138 on January 25, 2011, 01:36:04 AM

I am new here, so please don't judge me too hard, but i have a very basic question that i am sure ya'll have answered a billion times over. i am looking to build the Mosrite Fuzzmite pedal that has been floating around here, and noted the two transistors are 2N2613 and 2N408 respectively. As i am to understand these are hard to find, so would you think the 2N3906 Mid-Gain PNP Transistors sold here in the store would make OK substitute? i am not a super stickler that it has to be exact, but just thought it would be fun project to attempt. if those transistors are "close enough", i would be happy. if you know of any other transistors that would make a good substitute let me know.
I am happy I found this board and am totally overwhelmed by the awesome info shared on here.

Cheers,
Brian
Baton Rouge, LA

Welcome...actually, not a good substitute since the 2N2613 and 2N408 are germanium and the 2N3906 is silicon.

I used this schematic with silicon  [TZ82's are silicon] and it sounded killer:

The 2N3906 may have too high hfe. I used a tran in the 120-150 range. 2SC1815:
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-172/2SC1815-TRANSISTOR-NPN-50V/Detail

good luck

always think outside the box