It Pays to pay attention to Transistor pinouts!

Started by Nich, February 22, 2011, 01:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nich

So I started building an AMZ Mini-booster last week which is not a difficult build.  I have triplets at home just over a year old which I watch at night while my wife works (I work all day) so my build times are really late at night and can get interupted at a moments notice.  I put all the pieces together on perf board and it was looking pretty nice but.... No boost!  I got sound but no boost.   I checked all the connections, checked all the componet values and it all seemed good.  I stared and stared at the schematics all night long and no boost.   Last night I look at the schematic and realize I had the G and S pins of my NTE457 attached wrong!  Man what an idiot!  But with a little love last night it works like a dream...  Just thought i would share my frustrations with a light at the end of the tunnel. 

edvard

Lesson learned: always keep a pinout cheat-sheet handy when doing builds, just in case....

This oughta get you started:
http://www.syndromet.com/drill.pdf
:icon_wink:
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

Mark Hammer

Were you aware that, even though they only have 3 pins, there are at least 847 known ways for the pinout to be in conflict with what you THOUGHT you were doing?

Yup, it's true.  I've personally run into 678 of them.  :icon_wink:

NB:  Do make a point of collecting datasheets of semiconductors you use, and make a point of noticing who manufactured the specific device you are using.  It doesn't happen all THAT often, but occasionally it can happen that two manufacturers make the same nominal device and use a different pinout.  Nice to be able to refer to their individual datasheets and straighten things out when that happens.

Nich

Thanks for the list Eddy!  Yeah that will definitely get printed out and put up at my work station. 
Definitely a lession learned... I am sure I will learn it at least 678 more times....  :icon_redface:  But I will definitely keep a record from now on to limit my headaches.

Derringer

when i glanced at the thread title I read it as

"It pays attention to the transistor pinouts. It does as it's told."

and congrats on the triplets.
I have a 4 year old and 3 year old twins so I have a pretty good idea where you're coming from!
keep building, it helps to preserve the sanity

Nich

Haha we are definitely in the same boat for sure!  It is crazy, but a "good crazy".  And building even if incorrectly keeps a little sanity going.

Skruffyhound

Triplets, two sets of twins  :icon_eek:
I thought I was hard pressed and I've just got twins. Respect.
I'm surprised you guys can get anything done.
I started doing this when mine were about 1 1/2, so I could feel that I was still learning something in my life apart from how to wash milk bottles faster and change two diapers simultaneously in the dark  :icon_mrgreen:

Derringer

Quote from: Skruffyhound on February 22, 2011, 05:18:50 PM
Triplets, two sets of twins  :icon_eek:
I thought I was hard pressed and I've just got twins. Respect.
I'm surprised you guys can get anything done.
I started doing this when mine were about 1 1/2, so I could feel that I was still learning something in my life apart from how to wash milk bottles faster and change two diapers simultaneously in the dark  :icon_mrgreen:

2 sets  :o :o

lord no

what I mean is I have one four-year-old child and then the twins are 3 years-old
3 children in total

it's aall about multi-tasking
get this part done in the time you have tonight, get that part done when 20 minutes drops in your lap ... heck you know  ;D

R.G.

A truly accomplished parent can eat a peanut butter sandwich with one hand while rinsing dirty diapers in the toilet with the other.   :icon_eek:

Then there is this test for whether you're ready for parenthood: http://mothersontheverge.blogspot.com/2006/11/fit-parent-test.html

I especially sympathize with the one about the octopus.  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Derringer

Quote from: R.G. on February 22, 2011, 05:46:11 PM
A truly accomplished parent can eat a peanut butter sandwich with one hand while rinsing dirty diapers in the toilet with the other.   :icon_eek:

Then there is this test for whether you're ready for parenthood: http://mothersontheverge.blogspot.com/2006/11/fit-parent-test.html

I especially sympathize with the one about the octopus.  :icon_lol:

oh man, that's getting forwarded around

thanks RG!

lol

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Nich on February 22, 2011, 01:37:38 PM
I stared and stared at the schematics all night long and no boost.   Last night I look at the schematic and realize I had the G and S pins of my NTE457 attached wrong! 

Ha ha, I'm sure all of us here has done this least once. I know I have!

Nich

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 22, 2011, 07:46:37 PM
Quote from: Nich on February 22, 2011, 01:37:38 PM
I stared and stared at the schematics all night long and no boost.   Last night I look at the schematic and realize I had the G and S pins of my NTE457 attached wrong! 

Ha ha, I'm sure all of us here has done this least once. I know I have!
It is good to know that I am not the only one!
It is also good to see I am not the only parent who decides to add even more time consuming hobbies to their already busy lives.  Plus it seems that this is not only a site for DIY but for parents of multiples!   :icon_razz: