Volume Attenuator w/o tone change

Started by wakeuptone, February 23, 2011, 08:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakeuptone

Anyone advise how to build Volume Attenuator w/o tone change when reduce volume.  I try EHX Signal Pad bit loss the tone when reduce the volume, already try to add capacitor and resistor to compensate the lose tone.  It is still not a good result.  Is it necessary to have a good precision potentiometer.?  Thank you for all advise.

R.G.

Quote from: wakeuptone on February 23, 2011, 08:30:35 PM
Anyone advise how to build Volume Attenuator w/o tone change when reduce volume.  I try EHX Signal Pad bit loss the tone when reduce the volume, already try to add capacitor and resistor to compensate the lose tone.  It is still not a good result.  Is it necessary to have a good precision potentiometer.?  Thank you for all advise.
Buffer the signal before it hits the volume attenuator, then use a low value (10K or so) pot for the attenuator.

That will NOT work for a speaker attenuator.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

wakeuptone

Quote from: R.G. on February 23, 2011, 08:38:41 PM
Quote from: wakeuptone on February 23, 2011, 08:30:35 PM
Buffer the signal before it hits the volume attenuator, then use a low value (10K or so) pot for the attenuator.

That will NOT work for a speaker attenuator.

Thank you for your advised.  10K Pot Log or Liner.?

Gurner

If it's for a volume control (as in you want to hear the change in volume smoothly when you turn the pot) - you need log.

Mark Hammer

The EHX Signal pad is fine for those situations where you are attenuating a signal that has already been buffered; for example, attenuating the output of your pedalboard to feed to the voice microphone input of a recording device (which expects a much lower signal level).  It is NOT for placing after a guitar directly.

Hides-His-Eyes

Otherwise, you could control the gain of an inverting op-amplifier into an inverting buffer, couldn't you?

wakeuptone

Thank you all of your advised.   My purpose need to put volume attenuator in front of distortion pedal once engage the volume attenuator for rhythm and by pass for lead.  Last week, I built one with buffer and using 1M Log.  It's work but does not smooth when reduce the pot.  I will chnage pot to 10K Log and check it.