Female Terminal Connector for DC Jack Lugs?

Started by Steve Mavronis, February 28, 2011, 11:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Mavronis

Are there any mini female spade terminal conenctors that would fit onto lugs of the plastic Boss style 2.1mm DC Jack? Since they are tightened down from the inside with a nut they are hard to remove and to solder wires to them anyway. I thought if my wires had quick disconnect terminal conenctors it would be easier to deal with. Just have to figure out the smallest size that would fit.

Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

trjones1

Well, this isn't what you're asking for, but let me tell you what I do with power jacks which I feel is far superior to those insert-from-the-outside ones.  I get the external nut style jacks like this: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=666, and I get plastic nuts like this: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Eagle-Plastic-Devices/48AN016/?qs=ShQ8XZQtgRuXsaWnadcA8g%3d%3d.  You can use the metal nut that comes with the jack to set the right depth inside the box, then screw the plastic nut on from the outside.  This creates a very solid and good looking jack with the following benefits:

1. Doesn't need to be desoldered/disconnected to take it out of the enclosure.

2. Saves space inside the enclosure.

3. Is more forgiving for those of us who can never quite seem to drill 1/2" holes perfectly round (the internal nut jacks are very unforgiving in this area.  I always have a bit of the hole exposed at the edge of the flange when I use them.)

4. The external nut jacks are dirt cheap on ebay.  The plastic nuts are cheap too if you buy in bulk.  Smallbear said they would be stocking them sometime in the future, but I haven't seen them on the site yet.

YMMV, but I've never looked back after switching to this method.

jefe

+1 on the internally mounted jacks. I use the metal nuts inside and out, but I can see why a plastic nut on the outside would cover up any drilling errors, nice.

Steve Mavronis

Ah thanks! Is this a new product? I don't remember seeing these a year ago when I last ordered the regular outside mount Boss style DC jacks. It's still negative tip right? Do you have a datasheet on it for the lug assignment?
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

jefe

Quote from: Steve Mavronis on February 28, 2011, 11:50:31 AM
Ah thanks! Is this a new product? I don't remember seeing these a year ago when I last ordered the regular inside mount Boss style DC jacks. It's still negative tip right? Do you have a datasheet on it for the lug assignment?

They've been around for at least a year. The lugs are laid out the same way as the external mount jacks, IIRC.

trjones1

Yeah, they've been out there a while.  The external nut ones are exactly the same as the internal nut ones, with the obvious exceptions. 

When I started building pedals (way back in the aughts), all those boss style jacks came with the plastic nuts.  For some reason they switched to metal over the last few years, I never knew why.  I prefer the plastic.

Steve Mavronis

Quote from: trjones1 on February 28, 2011, 12:04:36 PM
When I started building pedals (way back in the aughts), all those boss style jacks came with the plastic nuts.  For some reason they switched to metal over the last few years, I never knew why.  I prefer the plastic.

With a negative tip jack you don't want the body grounded to the enclosure body I think.

trjones1

Yeah, but the nut doesn't have any contact with the power contacts, so it doesn't matter whether it's plastic or metal.