News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Problem with Pedal

Started by pkvine, March 19, 2011, 11:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkvine

Ok, so I built a WHRL pedal from General Guitar Gadgets....

I originally had the LED in backwards and once I fixed that it worked fine...that is until a week ago.  When I engage the pedal the LED goes on but there is no sound coming through when I'm on my amps clean channel...when I have my amp on its dirty channel I can hear a little sound when I engage the pedal, but the volume and drive knobs do nothing.

I opened up the pedal and every thing looks connected as it was before.  I'm new to this so I don't even know where to start to figure this out.

Here is a link to the info on GGG's website: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php/projects/17-distortion/225-red-llama?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

Any help would be great...remember I'm really new at this so I'm not up on all the technical jargon.

Thanks

caress

get yourself an audio probe and go through the circuit's audio path, checking after each component.

start by turning the pedal on and checking the effect input lug, then move on to where R1 meets C1, then check pin 5 of the IC, then pin 4, then pin 3, then pin 2, then lug 3 of the volume pot, then lug 2.  those are all the points.  after a brief volume dip at R1/C1 and possibly pin 5, everything else should get more-or-less progressively louder...  once you find the spot where the signal stops/is weaker, you can poke around there to identify what the problem is.  maybe a bad solder?  loose wire?  bridged connection?  etc. etc.

LucifersTrip

always think outside the box

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

nomorebetts

I'm going to suggest grabbing a magnifying glass and closely inspecting the solder joints on the board.  Since you've admitted to being new to this it's likely your soldering skills may not be up to scratch yet and a joint may have failed.  Especially since the effect has worked previously. 
Re-solder anything that looks dodgy and re-test.
Good luck!
I like Big Muffs! and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny...