what do you sit on?

Started by digthisbigcrux, March 26, 2011, 11:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digthisbigcrux

i need a new seat for my work bench.  ive been using this shoddy stool for ages, its starting to fall apart.  plus if im working for more than a half hour or so my neck starts aching horribly from leaning over my bench. 

what do you use?

Scruffie

Normally I stand with a high work surface, eye level and flicking solder = bad in my book.

Recently for breadboarding i've been sat in a horrible wooden chair though as it was all that was available and now have a recurring tingling in my back from the bad backs it gave me, so a decent chair for long hours is certainly necessary, i'm not even in my mid twentys and it's been giving me bad backs.

Personally, I have a £30 faux leather office chair thing from ikea, pretty comfy apart from it's getting a bit old so the the base fittings stick through the padding a bit.

jkokura

Comfy old office Chair. I can't stand sitting on something that's rolls for something like this, so it's just got four legs on it. Needs to be something you don't mind sitting in for hours, so make sure it's something you really like to sit on.

Jacob

LucifersTrip

Quote from: digthisbigcrux on March 26, 2011, 11:40:06 PM
i need a new seat for my work bench.  ive been using this shoddy stool for ages, its starting to fall apart.  plus if im working for more than a half hour or so my neck starts aching horribly from leaning over my bench. 

what do you use?

I work on the kitchen table for everything but drilling, with normal kitchen chairs
always think outside the box

mhartington

cant beat a bar stool. Great for building, playing, and drinking on. The TRIFECTA!!

spargo

Yep, kitchen table and normal chairs for me.  But if you want a really comfy stool and don't mind spending a bit, the Roc-N-Soc tower saddle seats are really good.  $109.  That's what I sit on when I'm actually playing. :)

markeebee

My job involves supplying production furniture, including chairs, to what remains of the UK electronics industry. So I've got a proper posh one :icon_smile:

To help avoid back strain:

~ your work surface should be about level with your elbows
~ your thighs should be flat on the seat at all times
~ your lower back should be in contact with the chair back, even when you lean forward over your bench. Stick a cushion between your lower back and the chair.

If anybody in the UK wants a professional work chair I can let DIYSB members have one at my cost price (about 60% off what you'd normally pay).

twabelljr

QuoteTo help avoid back strain:

~ your lower back should be in contact with the chair back, even when you lean forward over your bench. Stick a cushion between your lower back and the chair.

Good tips! I've used the pillow for lumbar support before. Works great. I use a few different work areas. The kitchen table gives me the most workspace so I sit on a wooden kitchen chair here. In my computer/electronics room I have an old, tall breakfast table I use for a soldering station and sit on a hard wooden stool. If I use the desk where my pc resides I  sit on a comfy office chair. And, when I breadboard I usually do that on the coffee table while watching tv and sitting on the floor (legs fall asleep alot, not good). I haven't set up a dedicated work space yet, but having a new laptop means I can move the pc and sit up a low workbech to hold all of my work equipment with plenty of space and use the office chair.
Shine On !!!

jkokura

Quote from: markeebee on March 27, 2011, 04:53:41 AM
My job involves supplying production furniture, including chairs, to what remains of the UK electronics industry. So I've got a proper posh one :icon_smile:

To help avoid back strain:

If anybody in the UK wants a professional work chair I can let DIYSB members have one at my cost price (about 60% off what you'd normally pay).

Dang I wish you lived in Canada, specifically the west coast.

jacob

Taylor

I've been wanting to invest in a nice chair. Anyone have suggestions for one in the $100-150 range that would be decent? I'd love something ridiculously opulent like an Aeron, but even if I had that kind of coin I'd be embarrassed to drop it on a chair.

Brymus

For my desk /work bench I have a regular office chair.
For my drum kit I have a Tama Ergo rider with the back support,freakin way cool and comfy.
I sometimes use it when I sit and play guitar too.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

digi2t

Hard wooden stool. Reminds me to get up and take a break from time to time  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

PRR

This work is brutal. If you are susceptable, excess tinkering WILL kink-up your body for days or weeks.

1) Standing at navel-high bench (with larger chassis than a pedal).

2) Sitting in old-but-good office-chair (hard to find) at a "PC desk" (lower than conventional desk or table; found in school computer labs).

Get UP and WALK a lot. Every 20 minutes is not too often. Certainly every time you have to stop and think (which should be a LOT when doing one-off DIY electronics).
  • SUPPORTER

tiges_ tendres

What do I sit on?  I've sat on my balls once or twice whilst debugging, which really slows down the process.  But that's neither here nor there.

I have a cushion now.
Try a little tenderness.

deadastronaut

i'm with digit on this....hard wooden chair...

i used to have a comfy office chair, but it made me lazy, and the arms got in the way.....i have a firm butt now.. :icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

ayayay!

...And all this time I was just using my butt to sit on. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Scruffie

Paul Marossy

I sit on my butt. On an office chair with a DIY mod done to it - arms have been removed.

jefe

markeebee

Quote from: digi2t on March 27, 2011, 10:57:49 PM
Hard wooden stool.

I recommend a padded chair. And branflakes.