what do you sit on?

Started by digthisbigcrux, March 26, 2011, 11:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teletroy

phector2004

Quote from: markeebee on March 28, 2011, 03:13:44 PM
Quote from: digi2t on March 27, 2011, 10:57:49 PM
Hard wooden stool.

I recommend a padded chair. And branflakes.

:icon_lol:

I've moved my workshop into the basement, but I have yet to buy any damageable furniture, so I sit on the wooden floor. Doesn't help that my knees are messed up, as they tend to stiffen up after hours of drilling and soldering, but I'm still a young'un and I don't build often.

Anybody use cheap IKEA seats/desks?

Mark Hammer

I have a beat-up padded office swivel chair, though I tend to do all my testing on my knees.

Been re-organizing the office/workshop, though, since my wife bought a new bedroom dresser and said she didn't need the old one anymore.  So maybe it's time for something new in the way of butt-parking.  Hell, it's time for an entire re-org of the work-space.

nomorebetts

I sit on a fold up camping chair crouched over a fold up camping table.... my neck and my back can't wait for the day I get a proper set up!  :icon_frown:
I like Big Muffs! and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny...

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 28, 2011, 04:24:46 PM
I have a beat-up padded office swivel chair, though I tend to do all my testing on my knees.

Been re-organizing the office/workshop, though, since my wife bought a new bedroom dresser and said she didn't need the old one anymore.  So maybe it's time for something new in the way of butt-parking.  Hell, it's time for an entire re-org of the work-space.

I find myself re-organizing my work space all the time. It's just little improvements here and there, but when combined, they add up to a big improvement.  :icon_razz:

digthisbigcrux

i sit on a hard wooden stool.  my work bench is about waist high though so my legs barely fit underneath.  so i tend to sit back with my knees touching the bench hunched over. 

i started listening to records while i work, which affords me a break every 20 minutes or so to flip it over.

Perrow

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_guitar_stool.htm

I wish I had time enough to sit on it for it to be a problem when building.

Work table arranged in one of these, a few pieces of hard wood flooring and an anti static mat. Have some large plastic boxes below for added storage and foot rest.

And, no, it's almost never that tidy.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

snarblinge

Not long ago, Finally, managed to get an old tall office chair, with footrest on Trademe (our ebay). retro orange, it sits just a little too high for my legs to go under my bench at the lowest setting. fine for 3 or four hours, any longer and Walks are required. one day, i'll replace it's feet and get the last few CMs I need.

Luckily I have started listening to Cassettes ( it's the only place I have a cassette player) so I have to get up every 60 odd minutes to change them. it's Jimi and mix tapes of 90s rock all day when I get to build :)

b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

petemoore

"*One size fits all ! !" ["all'' [few exceptions] chairs are built for short people to fit with feet touching the ground, tall people can too...
    A tall person can plunk the body weight down on the butt-bone-alone...into a chair which is ergonomically speaking...much too low a seat height to allow the thighs to support bodyweight. This puts tension on the lower back, reduces blood circulation etc., but feels 'normal' because *conventional seating is the norm.
   I'm 6'2'', and can attest that ergonomic seating and sleeping arrangements improve what is otherwise a great amount of 'energy tapped' by the lower back having to 'span across' the back and seat of a chair or a 'hole' in the bed...this long-body exerts great leverage on the lower back anyway, and the seating/bed situations influence this hugely for me.
   It is so 'normal' that most tall and short people never think about it...similar to the way people fix thier lighting...when the switch or lamp fails...replace it...don't worry about the glare, reflection or light frequency...just put whatever was in there before so it works.
     Having made great improvements in lighting, bedding and seating arrangements and benefitting greatly from it...I can recommend: get ergonomic with the surfaces/pads you use for seating and sleeping comfort, improve the crappy lighting.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

arawn

Highly adjustable office chair - the missus liberated from a previous employer for me. 
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

defaced

My bench is an old General Fireproofing desk.  My chair is an old wooden kitchen chair I got from an antique store.  I'm actually surprised at how comfortable the setup it, but I have zero pain/aches from this even after those marathon building sessions when I can get them in. 
-Mike

sundgist

Greenmachine

I have a desk with an inclined surface mounted on cinder blocks.  The edge of the desk reaches my bottom rib.  Ever since I began to have sitting-aggravated back pain I've been doing this.  I love it.  My wife doesn't.  It's her desk.  :icon_redface:

runmikeyrun

I've tried a couple different chairs and stools.  None seemed to be the right height and I was always standing up to get parts, tools, etc.  So now I just stand.  I make sure to stretch my hamstrings when my low back starts getting sore.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

tiges_ tendres

I pretty much sit on a big bag of dicks. 
Try a little tenderness.

Taylor