Lowering pot values

Started by vendettav, April 08, 2011, 12:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vendettav

Hey guys, I know how it works. Though I was looking for this answer and couldn't find one.
Anyway's here's a short tutorial with a question first :) when doing this, does the tape change to linear (B) or log (A) ?

to lower the pot value all you need to do is wire a resistor around the outer lugs of the pot
the formula for this is Rsum=R1*R2/(R1+R2)
example: if you want a 10k pot from a 20k pot, you gotta take a 20k resistor and wire it. 20k*20k/(20k+20k)=10
to get a value less than the half of your pot you'll need about 1/3rd of the pot's original value to get more thanthe half you'll need less than 1/4th

anyways can somebody please answer the question on the taper?
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

petemoore

taper what would be another.
   What's it responds variously with potaper.
  The DMM can chart the taper, put a knob/1-10 dial on the pot, start at 0 read one side, move the knob, repeat.
  Measure the wafer/potvalue, the other side can be taken as the subtracted portion, the two Variable Resistances in the VRDivider [3 prong pot] always add to the wafer resistance.
  A chart with 1-10 up the sides, and 0.0ohm through ? 10k...whatever the R value the potwafer measures [lugs 1 and 3].
  Do this at different knob positions until a taper-curve line is of sufficient resolution to connect the dots.
  Explained as a matter of explaining, also may help to consider the variable resistive divider [pot] as 2 resistances to which parallel resistances can be calculated in. Ie throw a value or two +/- the pot value or even...
  Something valued about 1/2 pot value, thrown across wiper and 1 outside lug, or resistor string across the VRD 'string' [essentially the pot is two resistances in series at all times, putting a resistor across a portion of the pot [wiper and a lug] puts a different curve on whatever curve or linear behaviour the wafer had originally.
  When a smallish fixed R is put across a Large VR the small resistance is dominant over 'more of the variable resistor [1/2 of a pot] range] the pot only begins noticably changing anything as it is dialed to low enough resistance [ie near the very end of the wafer] bunching up all the change in R to that end of the shaft rotation.
  So...depending on whatever and how it responds, a bigger pot to 'shave off of' might be in order if available.
  Also series stop resistor might 'bump the range' while this will lose some unwanted 'end' control. Stop resistor>pot, series is what that looks like, obviously the stop resistor is relatively small or 'tendancy gobbles up the pot-range-effect on 'whatever.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: vendettav on April 08, 2011, 12:28:40 PM
Hey guys, I know how it works. Though I was looking for this answer and couldn't find one.
Anyway's here's a short tutorial with a question first :) when doing this, does the tape change to linear (B) or log (A) ?

to lower the pot value all you need to do is wire a resistor around the outer lugs of the pot
the formula for this is Rsum=R1*R2/(R1+R2)
example: if you want a 10k pot from a 20k pot, you gotta take a 20k resistor and wire it. 20k*20k/(20k+20k)=10
to get a value less than the half of your pot you'll need about 1/3rd of the pot's original value to get more thanthe half you'll need less than 1/4th

anyways can somebody please answer the question on the taper?

The more you lower the K of the original pot, the more the taper will be weighted towards the beginning portion of the sweep.

It is very easy to see if you plot a graph. Ie, if you measure a 10K linear pot that you made with a 20K pot + 20K resistor, you will see that it is > 5k if you turn it half way.  The more you change the pot, the more the sweep is weighted towards the beginning. Ie, if you made a 10K pot from a 100K pot + 11K resistor, the sweep will be much more heavily weighted towards the beginning of the sweep.

always think outside the box

mwynwood

If Rsum=R1*R2/(R1+R2), does that mean that:

If I put a 1k resistor over pins 1 and 3 of a 25k pot, I will effectively get a 1k pot?

(25*1)/(25+1) = 25/26 = 0.961k
Marcus Wynwood
My Build Blog
MarcusGuitar.com

LucifersTrip

yes, but with a massive change in the sweep

remember, 1-3 is just a resistor
http://www.1728.org/resistrs.htm
always think outside the box

mwynwood

Awesome, thanks  :icon_cool:

:icon_idea: By flipping that formula, I can work out what resistor to use to get the value I need...

Resistor = (Pot*Result) / (Pot-Result)

Marcus Wynwood
My Build Blog
MarcusGuitar.com