News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Hey first post!

Started by VeridisQuo, April 13, 2011, 03:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VeridisQuo

How do I wire the underside of the circuit board once I have all of it in place? Like in this picture?

Do all of the components on the board have to be connected in one continuous line? Does it matter how they're all connected under the board?

VeridisQuo

Ok I did some research and now I know what I'm doing

VeridisQuo

Except I don't know what I'm doing. I need help. When I'm wiring the super hard on, I'm going by this veroboard layout

and with this layout

I have a few questions about this,
1. The veroboard layout shows only one ground output, where am I supposed to connect the sleeve from the output jack to ground if there isn't a second ground input on the veroboard? Or at least, where can I wire that?

2. The layout from beavis audio has it so that 2 wires go into the same spot, I find this very difficult to do what with crammed space and all. Any helpful tips?

twabelljr

If you already have the board cut to size and components soldered in place, you could cut 1 or 2 traces under the 2k2 resistor as shown and have some additional grounding points. Quick and easy. (just flip the board and cut the trace like you did where the other two red squares are) If the board is not cut to size yet, just make it 13 holes wide and you will have 2 ground points side by side. Or just let the enclosure be the ground if the jack is unisulated but if it comes loose you may have problems.
Edit: Add 2 ground points or make the board 14 holes wide because the boost pot needs to be grounded also.
Shine On !!!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: VeridisQuo on May 27, 2011, 12:27:04 AM
1. The veroboard layout shows only one ground output, where am I supposed to connect the sleeve from the output jack to ground if there isn't a second ground input on the veroboard? Or at least, where can I wire that?

You can tie ALL of the circuit grounds to one of the ground points. I usually tie all of the grounds in the circuit to either the Input or Output jack Sleeve.

2. The layout from beavis audio has it so that 2 wires go into the same spot, I find this very difficult to do what with crammed space and all. Any helpful tips?

There are only 2 spots on the layout that I see this. One we already addressed in #1 (grounds)... the other is the V+ on the board. This can be fixed by removing the 2.2K resistor from the circuit board and soldering it with the V+ feed wire at the DC jack. The DC jack will have "more space" in the hole to fit the two wires.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

VeridisQuo

So to go with that first option. I would:
1. Wire the input sleeve to the output sleeve, the middle left post on the switch to the output sleeve, the 1st lug on the potentiometer to the output sleeve, and where it says "ground" on the circuit board to the output sleeve? Will that work?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: VeridisQuo on May 28, 2011, 06:55:40 PM
So to go with that first option. I would:
1. Wire the input sleeve to the output sleeve, the middle left post on the switch to the output sleeve, the 1st lug on the potentiometer to the output sleeve, and where it says "ground" on the circuit board to the output sleeve? Will that work?

Absolutely!

If you are going to use an LED, then you can wire that to a drop-down resistor (the picture above shows a 2.2K but the resistance is negotiable as long as it is above aroung 400ohms) and then you can wire the other side of the drop down resistor to the DC jack.

Try looking here for a good wiring scheme. Look at Diagram #5:

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=76
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Zipslack

You do realize that what you show in your picture is perfboard while the layout you are showing is for veroboard?  They are not the same/not compatible.