My first fuzz face! HELP PLEASE

Started by MrTonesNZ, April 15, 2011, 10:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTonesNZ

Hey guys,
Give me a hand,
This is my first build from scratch. Made a germanium fuzz face and it sounds beautiful. The weird part is, it only seems to work properly when linked after my overdrive- NOT WITH IT TURNED ON, without that, its quiet and harder to get a nice sound. I think it could be a problem with my grounding or something i don't know. It's as if it needs an active signal going in rather than passive... What do you think?

vendettav

may be the overdrive has got a buffer which helps the thing???
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

MrTonesNZ

Quote from: vendettav on April 16, 2011, 03:02:28 PM
may be the overdrive has got a buffer which helps the thing???

Maybe. Was thinking about adding a clean boost curcuit. How does a buffer work? I thought  buffer was to eliminate unwanted noise? My problem is i don't get enough noise...

Govmnt_Lacky

Is the fuzz face a PNP version? Positive ground?

Are you tying it into the same PS as an NPN (Negative ground) device?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

MrTonesNZ

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 16, 2011, 09:36:02 PM
Is the fuzz face a PNP version? Positive ground?

Are you tying it into the same PS as an NPN (Negative ground) device?

It's pnp, running off a 9v battery. But it doesn't sound good unless it's pugged in after my boss od2. The od2 doesnt have to be turned on. I thoght it could possibly be that the battery is just dying, but i tryed the same ps that the boss uses, and got the same result.

MrTonesNZ

I'm kinda wondering if maybe I've wired the ground wrong? It's pnp right? Does that mean the positive from the battery needs to be grounded to earth? I haven't done that. I've grounded the negative. I know the powers going through the circuit correctly, otherwise it wouldn't  work and sound so great, right?

vendettav

ooh yeah, the positive ground means that the positive from the battery goes to the ground,and negative goes to the ..we ll you know where :D
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

LucifersTrip

Quote from: MrTonesNZ on April 17, 2011, 05:55:34 AM
I'm kinda wondering if maybe I've wired the ground wrong? It's pnp right?
You're the only one that can tell that. What transistors did you use?  Look it up and see if they're PNP or NPN?
http://english.electronica-pt.com/db/cross-reference.php

Does that mean the positive from the battery needs to be grounded to earth? I haven't done that. I've grounded the negative. I know the powers going through the circuit correctly, otherwise it wouldn't  work and sound so great, right?

It'd be cool if you posted the schematic, so we could help easier...Note the battery hook-up if it's PNP:

always think outside the box

jasperoosthoek

I always use black and blue wires for positive ground effects. The black is the signal ground and goes to the positive side of the battery. The blue is the negative power supply and goes to the negative side of the battery.

If makes sense when combined with a normal effect. The black wires can be connected and the red is plus and the blue is minus. Now you have a bipolar supply. Never ever deviate on color codes unless you are color blind ;D.

This helps a lot when you have multiple effects in similar boxes and you forgot one was pnp.
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

petemoore

There's nothing to compare the board connection/circuit measurements to.
   The debugging page instructs what to do that enables us to look into the circuit, with schematic used, voltages/tests..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

LucifersTrip

specifically, what Pete meant to say was:

MrTonesNZ

Quote from: vendettav on April 17, 2011, 10:11:17 AM
ooh yeah, the positive ground means that the positive from the battery goes to the ground,and negative goes to the ..we ll you know where :D

Ok, that's well and good, but wouldn't that make it incompatible with my other pedals?

MrTonesNZ

Here's the schematic, I've followed it to a 'T'. I've grounded the black wire, which is going to the "-" side of the battery.

blooze_man

OK it's PNP, then. "GND" should labeled something like "-9V" as it is the negative lead of the battery, not ground. If you can take a picture of your circuit, that would help.
Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

arma61

Quote from: MrTonesNZ on April 18, 2011, 12:49:19 AM

Ok, that's well and good, but wouldn't that make it incompatible with my other pedals?

yes...  you cant power them with the same source of other Neg_gnd pedals, unless you build into your FF a "polatiry inverter" (don't remember the right name now), I think forummate John Lyons did something like that, do a search     here.

Cheers
Armando

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

LucifersTrip

Quote from: MrTonesNZ on April 18, 2011, 12:49:19 AM

not if it is powered by a separate power supply

LucifersTrip

MrTonesNZ

MrTonesNZ

Quote from: blooze_man on April 18, 2011, 02:07:38 AM
OK it's PNP, then. "GND" should labeled something like "-9V" as it is the negative lead of the battery, not ground. If you can take a picture of your circuit, that would help.

Awesome thanks that does help. I wonder why my OD2 fixes the problem then? Can anyone answer that??

jasperoosthoek

Indeed what the other people said, you will need a separate power supply. But if you always use a battery it is the best way.

Using black and blue wires is a way to show internally that it is wired differently. Using black and red wires will make the red wire ground... That messes up your mind when you open it some years from now.

If you power your effects by a daisy chain cable then you might want to show on the outside that it is positive ground. Or you could use a different kind of connector for these effects. Using power supplies that can be safely shorted (using a 78(L)09 chip) works too.

I wasn't very happy with the negative ground conversion on a pnp fuzz face. It was much noisier so I went back to positive ground. I solved it by building my own power supply with isolated outputs.
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com