Wah - driving me nuts

Started by nic32, April 23, 2011, 05:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nic32

Hi all

I was given a dirty PSK WP-100 wah a few years back.  It never worked so I put it in the back of a cupboard.  I rehoused and put a true bypass switch on a DS-1 so decided that I should have a go with the wah.

I used the old plastic housing, and rebuilt the board - but had a problem.  I used the input jacks and wiring from the original wah however I've since replaced the switch(same wiring), soldered up a new board including a new inductor and replaced the pot.  Got it all together and plugged it in.  In bypass mode it sounds fine. 

As soon as I engage the effect, it goes very quiet - there is no discernable sound from the guitar.  there is noise from the pot - the sound going from silent to a scraping/brushing sound and then back to silent at the end of the pot (I've tried changing the wiring on the pot). 

I don't really want to put photos up unless I need to, I've got it all in loose as I will rehouse the switch and probably board so I can modify it all at a later date with ease and no space restrictions. 

I've searched the forum and googled and can't find anything similar.  The only thing I'm not sure about my wiring is the earth.  All the jacks are wired up, however off the pot is a ring terminal - I was thinking that because it's a plastic housing that this won't matter too much if it's not screwed in?  Where should I fix it to earth it?

Is there anything else I should check or try?

Thanks heaps

Frustrated Nic

Astronaurt

Something similar happened when I was making my Wah Pedal, in that I had replaced the circuit board in an old Wah and put a Clyde McCoy I had built in the shell. I had the exact same problem, but I quickly found out that my 9V+ was being shorted to earth by the enclosure itself, lulz... so I just wrapped a bunch of electrical tape around the Power jack and that did the trick!  ;D Idk if you're using a battery or anything like that, but a power to ground short is pretty easy to miss if you don't think about it. If that doesn't help, then you're gonna have to post some voltages my friend!