Madbean Boards

Started by bamesbotter, April 23, 2011, 10:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamesbotter

Anyone have any experience building these? Thoughts on how good they are?

They seem pretty close...

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/

jrod

Yes! High quality boards, both fabbed and etched.

I am building the Wolfshirt (fOXX Tone Machine) and have a Buzzaround board yet to be built.

aflynt

I've built 3 so far. A Yellow Shark, a Sunking, and a Serendipity. Two were fabbed and one was hand etched. They were all well laid out easy to solder and the end results sound fantastic.

-Aaron

Gordo

+1 on Madbean stuff

I've built up a few of their boards and superb quality.
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...

YouAre

Brian's boards are absolutely great. Professionally done boards, and a great dude to deal with.

bamesbotter

How does the Yellow shark sound?

jimmybjj

waltk

Very nice layouts.  I've etched most of them, and built several.  They are compact (except for the Zygote that allows for jumbo-sized "mojo" parts), with pads for everything you need.  I like that the pot pads are always together with consistent spacing and pin numbering ('cause I use 3-pin connectors instead of hard-wiring them).  The downloadable PDF documentation is very well done too - complete with schematics, board layouts showing off-board wiring, PCB etching images, and parts lists.  The graphics are nicely drawn, and tips for mods and alternate versions are offered where appropriate.

If you see this, Brian, Thanks!  I hope to be able to support your efforts with a purchase sometime soon.

chi_boy

+1 for Brian and his boards.  Both are a class act.  Order with confidence, and enjoy.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

BoxOfSnoo

Another +1, the boards are top notch.
My Dropbox referral link - bonus 250MB of space for both of us if you use it

65gmcjnew

Very nice boards,  and I recieved mine in less than a week!

aflynt

Quote from: bamesbotter on April 23, 2011, 11:03:01 PM
How does the Yellow shark sound?

It sounds great. It's my new favorite pedal right now. I used the CA3130EZ from Newark and a bunch of cheap 1/4 watt carbon film resistors that all measured low. Otherwise, I followed Brian's schematic exactly. 

-Aaron

smallbearelec

Quote from: bamesbotter on April 23, 2011, 10:25:20 PM
Anyone have any experience building these? Thoughts on how good they are?
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/

As readers here know, I rarely have time to build anything. However, I usually know what is popular based on how many requests I get for parts lists from my library.

I have gotten a number of requests in recent weeks for parts lists for the Darkside, Faultline, Grapevine and Sun King, and I have been creating spreadsheets accordingly. Also have started to stock some chips/transistors for Brian's designs.

Regards
SD

sgmezei

Hey that's great to hear SmallBear. I'm sure there would be more than a few people that would enjoy adding all of the Klon parts with one button click on your site  ;)

I have built over 20 of Brian's projects and he is great to deal with. The forum and himself especially are awesome.

The boards and support are excellent.

Scott

smallbearelec

Quote from: sgmezei on April 25, 2011, 03:01:50 AM
I'm sure there would be more than a few people that would enjoy adding all of the Klon parts with one button click..

Unfortunately, I can't offer a "bill of materials" feature like Mouser, Digikey, et al. I did investigate this at the request of numerous customers. But my hosting company has been clear that the shopping cart software (originally built as Kurant StoreSense, now owned by E-Bay and called ProStores) was never designed to add multiple items with a single click. Adding the feature through scripting external to the program I am told would not be practical, and the hosting company can't modify the program because the source code is not theirs. E-Bay and my hosting company have definitely improved ProStores over time--it does stuff now that it did not when I started--but so far they have not added a B.O.M.

What I do offer is what I always have: If you drop an e-msj telling me what you want to build, I will reply with a spreadsheet file or files containing a generic parts list for the pedal. The newer ones include SKU numbers from the Stock list, and I have been editing the older ones as I make time to do so.

Regards
SD

FlyingZ

Wouldn't a kit be a single item?

Taylor

Quote from: FlyingZ on April 25, 2011, 09:12:45 AM

I don't mean to speak on behalf of Steve, but having worked in places with strict stock accounting, it's absolutely essential that your computer system decrement the stock of an item when you sell it. So if Steve sells a kit for something, that sale needs to decrement his stock of each individual part in the kit - clearly the software can't do that, so he'd have to "assemble" the kits in the accounting software, selling parts to build the item that is each kit. Kind of a pain, and holds parts hostage as part of the kit. It creates all kinds of nightmares in keeping track of stock.

smallbearelec

Quote from: FlyingZ on April 25, 2011, 09:12:45 AM

Yes. However, I have never wanted to offer kits of other people's designs. I like being able to sell a few kits of my own builds without having to worry about selling enough Fur Faces each month to pay the bills. The rest of the biz funds that nicely, thank you. Yeah, the "tail wags the bear," but success makes it hard to complain too much.

Quote from: Taylor on April 25, 2011, 02:39:51 PM
if...sells a kit for something, that sale...holds parts hostage as part of the kit...creates all kinds of nightmares in keeping track of stock.

That's an issue, but a bigger one is that I don't want to be breaking up packages to accommodate individual needs/wants. You want red knobs and not blue?--no problem! Different enclosure?...you get the idea. Besides, people learn things in the process of "rolling their own."

FlyingZ

bean

Thanks for all the nice words, fellas. Things are going swimmingly over at MBP and I expect to expand the range of content of the site a lot over the next few months. There are a lot of brand new builders coming there for first projects, which isn't something I had expected. Anyway, there is going to be a lot of educational content released very soon...tutorials covering all aspects of DIY building and stompbox design. And, a complete course in Eagle----all free stuff. I have a couple of real smart cookies helping me with that, and I might do an open call for submissions if anyone else wants to join in the fun. And I hope some of the projects I have planned will come to fruition later this year....real fun stuff like modular based effects and realtime controls blah blah. Okay that's all...sorry for the shameless plug....DIYSB is still king, of course :)