News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

JFet/pnp/npn

Started by vendettav, April 28, 2011, 05:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vendettav

ok this is not a question on which is what but rather how can you figure those out? i mean i'ev got these trannies about 10 or something. they've got a green dot on the top.. it's the modern package i forgot the name of but whatever. can i find it out with a multimeter or something??
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

anchovie

Don't they have a part number on them that you can Google for?
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Pigyboy

And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

vendettav

it aint got anything but the dots. green on the top.. blue on the flat side

check my music HERE

R.G.

Old, old problem, with an old old solution.

To do this by hand, you do what the semiconductor tester/identification devices do. You use a diode-direction tester - the low 0hms scale of a multimeter will do - then you test each pin for diode conduction to the others. You note which pins conduct to which others, and the number of diode drops. Then you match that against your memorized table of what diode conduction is what for NPN, PNP, N-JFET, P-JFET, MOSFET, etc.

As a starter, the gate of a MOSFET conducts one way but not both to both D and S, the D and S conduct below 1K but not as well as a diode to each other.
The base of a bipolar conducts one way to both C and E, not the other way, and C and E don't conduct to each other. Which way they conduct tells you the polarity.

The semiconductor testers have just mechanized this bit of heuristics.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

vendettav

Thanx R.G. as always!!! that makes a PERFECT sense :)
check my music HERE

R.G.

Well, it would have been if it was not in error!  :icon_biggrin:

This:
Quotethe gate of a MOSFET conducts one way but not both to both D and S,
is flatly wrong. The gate of a MOSFET doesn't conduct either way until it's destroyed. The gate of  JFET conducts to the channel one way but not the other.

Doh!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

vendettav

thanx anyways, it was quite helpful, it was NPN i believe. i then tested their hFE and they varied quite a lot, 2 were around 460  500 and 2 or 3 around 640.. and one was 856 :o Ima try a booster with it! It's gonna yield some boost i guess!

lets see how it goes
check my music HERE