asymetrical diode clipper question

Started by pinkjimiphoton, May 14, 2011, 08:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

how do you know which side is being clipped? does it matter which side of the sine wave is clipped?
is there a way to tell? i mean...say ya want just the bass frequencies thru ge for sweetness, and the treble frequencies thru silicon for more scream?  ???

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

R.G.

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on May 14, 2011, 08:19:31 PM
how do you know which side is being clipped?
The side with the fewest diodes gets clipped first.

Quotedoes it matter which side of the sine wave is clipped?
For a sine wave, no. For real audio waves that are not perfectly symmetrical, probably. For guitar, it varies between symmetrical and nonsymmetrical as the note decays, and at different times for different strings/frets/finger pressure/phase of the moon.

Quoteis there a way to tell?
If you mean which side is clipped first, see the first answer. If you mean is there a way to tell if it matters, use a "switch hitter" circuit to flip the phase of the signal into the clipper and listen for any differences. If you can't hear any differences, it doesn't matter.

Quotei mean...say ya want just the bass frequencies thru ge for sweetness, and the treble frequencies thru silicon for more scream?  ???
Diode clipping is sensitive to instantaneous voltage, not frequency. If you want to clip bass and treble differently, filter them apart, clip them separately, then mix them back together. See Craig Anderton's Quadrafuzz.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

pinkjimiphoton

thanks rg, i understand it now. i've tried switching them but never could hear any audible difference so i guess it doesn't matter.
appreciate it!
peace!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on May 14, 2011, 08:32:39 PM
thanks rg, i understand it now. i've tried switching them but never could hear any audible difference so i guess it doesn't matter.
appreciate it!
peace!
I would say I couldn't either untill I experimented, it really is dependant on gain levels, design & filtering etc. I made a Boost/Overdrive/High Gain Distortion and in the Overdrive & Boost mode, it was definitley smoother, but the design used a lot of op-amp clipping so it probably made more difference to the over all sound.

Keppy

I have wondered about this in a different way. Say I'm running an overdrive into a more intense distortion, both with asymmetrical clipping. Will I notice a difference if they both clip the same side of the wave first vs. clipping opposite sides first? Logic tells me I would, but I haven't tested it yet. Anyone experiment with this?
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley