NYC Big Muff, buffered? True Bypass? MXR noise gate output impedance

Started by El Heisenberg, May 24, 2011, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Heisenberg

I got some confusion with my big muff.

Yesterday a friend let me borrow his NYC big muff. No tone bypass switch. Just the normal muff I guess.

I added a proper DC jack and only had a tiny look inside without taking out the entire board.

Then I compared my black russian big muff build to the NYC. Pretty similar.

My Black russian had always had this quirk, where if I turn on either of my two MXR noise gate/line driver, or my Boss slow gear which I sometimes use as a noise gate, before the big muff, the tone brightens up. I like it this way better so I always have to switch on two pedals.

When playing with the NYC factory muff, this didn't happen. Nothing happened when i turned on the noise gate.

I was wondering if the NYC big muff is already buffered??

I was also wondering if anyone could tell me what's happening. I also notice this with my Fulltone Ultimate Octave I built.

I would like to add a buffer to my big muff, to get rid of this and to have the sound I get with the noise gate on all the time. SO I'd need to know what buffer would gimme the same effect or output impedance that the MXR noise gate/line driver is giving me.
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

El Heisenberg

"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

slacker

Just build an opamp or JFet buffer they will both do the job fine, the actual output impedance shouldn't matter.