Fuzz Factory problem

Started by Yorick, July 06, 2011, 02:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yorick

Yeah I know I'm number 996 with this but I just couldn't find a clue on the forum.
I've build 3 pedals before so I kinda know what I'm doing.  ;D
I build a fuzz factory on strip board but the sound sound a bit softer and bypassed. I checked the board and everything seems to be ok.
What I noticed when I probed it was that my sound was softer after my 2n3904. After that the signal remains about the same.

I used this layout:

Please help it's driving me creazy!

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Yorick on July 06, 2011, 02:43:05 PM
Yeah I know I'm number 996 with this but I just couldn't find a clue on the forum.
I've build 3 pedals before so I kinda know what I'm doing.  ;D
I build a fuzz factory on strip board but the sound sound a bit softer and bypassed. I checked the board and everything seems to be ok.
What I noticed when I probed it was that my sound was softer after my 2n3904. After that the signal remains about the same.

I used this layout:

Please help it's driving me creazy!

always think outside the box

Yorick

No really???
Don't you think I tried all of that?  :icon_evil:

Sorry I'm frustrated!  ;D

ugly_guitar_guy

Is your 2N3904 in correctly? Try switching it around and see what happens.
Check out my metal band here: www.facebook.com/hollowshell
or
my personal effects building page here: www.facebook.com/brotronics

Yorick

Jup is in correctly (according to schematic). The collector is facing up (connected to c-19)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Yorick on July 06, 2011, 02:52:49 PM
No really???
Don't you think I tried all of that?  :icon_evil:

I would have guessed NO seeing as there are no voltages or ANY OF THE REQUESTED INFORMATION from the Debug thread in your initial post.  :icon_cool:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Yorick

Sorry saved me time not to include them.  :icon_razz:

Yorick

I used 2n404's and the above circuit.

Q1: hfe 103

C:1.01v
B:0.60v
E:9.08v

Q2: hfe 72

C:0.87v
B:0.75v
E:9.08v

Q3:

C:9.08v
B:7.80v
E:0.00v

I used a 9V power supply that is spot on 9 volts.

Sorry for not posting this first!!!!! :icon_redface:

Yorick

I just tried reversing my 2n3904 with no succes! The sound that comes out op the circuit is still nice and clean. (not really what I had in mind when I started to build it ;D)

[edit]
Sorry about my ignorance but I used 35v 10uf capacitors instead of the 16v that I normally use, could that be it?
[/edit]

joegagan

this circuit can be very tricky  because of all the interconnectivaty of a lot of the parts. double, triple quadruple check all wiring;, check for connections that aren't supposed to be there ( use continuity check on your meter), check for weird little simple solder bridges with magnifying glass etc. you will find your error. or build it again.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Yorick

Thanks for your reply! I already checked it at least 4 times but I'm going to check it again/ rebuild it.

Yorick

Checked everything for the millionth time and it's all fine. No unwanted bridges, loose connections or faulty wireing.
Can someone interpret those reading is had from the transistors? My knowledge doesn't go that far. Thanks!!

Govmnt_Lacky

The fact that you are getting the EXACT same voltage (V+ ??) on Q1 and Q2 Emitter and Q3 Collector looks suspect to me.

Isn't there at LEAST a 10K resistor difference between Q2 Emitter and Q3 Collector? That alone should cause some sort of voltage drop right??

I recommend you find another schematic online and bounce the layout off of it.

Good Luck  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Govmnt_Lacky

After bouncing this layout off of another I recommend the following:

- Check your electro cap orientation. Some or ALL may be backwards.
- Check the wiring of your Comp and Gate pots. I believe they are wired WRONG in this layout.

I'm fairly certain you will find your problems in these areas.

Good Luck  ;D

Yorick

Thanks mate I'll change those pots. My caps are all the right way.
I'll let you know.
Thanks again!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Yorick on July 07, 2011, 01:03:27 PM
Thanks mate I'll change those pots. My caps are all the right way.

Not recommending that you CHANGE the pots.... just make sure the wiring is correct. The wiring above looks incorrect for those pots.

Also, if your caps are installed correctly, then C2's NEGATIVE terminal should go directly to Lug 2 of the Drive pot.

;D

Yorick

I compared it to another schematic but it is the same. It looks a bit weird but comp 3 goes to drive 3 and comp 2 goes to comp 1 and then to a 10k resistor.

Yorick

I think that the best way to start my post is:
:icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

I wired my power input the wrong way around!!!!  :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

I noticed that the wires on my multimeter were the wrong way around.
It works like a charm now! Nice and screaming!!

Thanks for all your help!!

Yorick

I was just wondering if having the polarity the wrong way around for quite some hours (while testing) might have damaged my caps. Would it be worth changing them? It sound ok though!

Mike Burgundy

It obviously didn't destroy anything, but it will not have helped lifespan and noise behaviour of electrolytics and transistors. It could be okay, but if I were building this for someone else I wouldn't even think about it and just exchange the lot. If it were for me, I admit I might be lazy until something popped up that I didn't like.