Let's Talk Toggle Switches...

Started by Pigyboy, July 30, 2011, 08:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigyboy

It was brought up on the pictures thread that we start one about toggle switches as many of us use them and I for one have had a recent spat of mechanical failures due to dodgy quality.

So if anyone is up for it please post your observations here.
What brands are you using, staying away from, interested in....

I will start by asking if anyone is using one of these

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Free-Way_Pickup_Switch.html

I am considering buying a few for playing around with some multiple fuzz sound circuits.
I did buy some of these
http://cdn.sigma.octopart.com/9156001/image/E-Switch-100SP1T2B1M1QEH.jpg
I am thinking they may a bit less apt to abuse with the taller bezel.

cheers,
Chris
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

asatbluesboy

2P6T would be awesome. Goodbye, rotary switches.

As for the taller one, it's the one used in my OCD v2. No problems so far (been a couple years), but it's hardly ever switched.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

Pigyboy

The ones that came apart were both used on guitars where they do get used more. I have looked around for a similar 6 way switch but all I can find are $500 or more military spec stuff.
I wonder what kind of toggles are used in the old BC Rich guitars? They always had a ton of toggles...
                                                            - FANG

Quackzed

i've had problems with mini toggles gettng stomped and killed, so i've started using these.
"submini slide switch"
its a bit more work to mount em... i drill 2 pilot holes then use a small file to join and square them up into a rectangle, then 2 small screw holes to hold it in place... but they're much less likely to get stressed as they are almost flush...
so far they've been pretty tough, definately more resilient than toggles...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

John Lyons

I use these.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=108-1MS3T2B3M1QE-EVXvirtualkey12040000virtualkey108-1MS3T2B3M1QE-EVX
I tuck them close to knobs so they don't get bumped, but they are short bat/lever switches anyway so they are hard to knock.
Pretty much the same thing as in your pic Chris.

Smallbear has these as well.

Both of these seem solid and I have not had any problems with them.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Pigyboy

Quote from: John Lyons on July 30, 2011, 12:25:29 PM
I use these.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=108-1MS3T2B3M1QE-EVXvirtualkey12040000virtualkey108-1MS3T2B3M1QE-EVX
I tuck them close to knobs so they don't get bumped, but they are short bat/lever switches anyway so they are hard to knock.
Pretty much the same thing as in your pic Chris.

Smallbear has these as well.

Both of these seem solid and I have not had any problems with them.

Are the ones with the shorter bat actually shorter or is the threaded bevel just longer like the ones I have? I noticed once they arrived that it is the same switch as the longer bat but the barrel is just longer leaving a smaller portion of the actuator exposed.
Here is a vendor in Europe that has the same style switches with the rubber hoods that look cool
http://www.westbalt.ee/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_317_106

I'd like to find some more like this old one with barrels for the wires..it is rock solid.

- FANG

Pigyboy

- FANG

ivanmarch

Good question...  ;)

I personally use  Salecom  toggle switches.
Never had problem with this brand:  I've built quite a few pedals years ago (about 10 years ago) using this switches with no problem. They are still working fine!
Here is their website:  http://www.salecom.com/      (the production line is in Taiwan)

I have to say that I had problems with this brand :  Ningbo Haishu Rixin Electronic  ( http://www.nb-rixin.com/ )
I've bought few toggle switches from different shops in different months. (so it's impossible that was a bad stock)
Well 7 out of 12 broke down after few months of use!
The "mechanical" part of those switches didn't work anymore...  :icon_evil:

Have a great weekend everyone!

ivan.

Pigyboy

^^^Where do you source the salecom switches?
They look great...
                                                            - FANG

Seven64

only a month or so.  had 2 in a ds-1, 1 in my octavia, 2 on a magnus modulus, and a few in wah pedals.  they seem to have the same quality as the red ones i got off of PPP.

ivanmarch

Hi Chris!

I get switches from rapid on-line (http://www.rapidonline.com/).  It's a shop in west England.

I know they can ship stuff in Spain and the prices are not that bad. ..and good quality...

I checked out your website;

Well done! Really like La Rosa! How did you do all those black strips (nearby the tube)?

What sort of pots (potentiometers) are you using on the "Frequency Central Little Angel Chorus" (mini series) ?

Have a good day.

ivan.

Pigyboy

Hi Ivan,
Thanks for the link to the switches. I want to try them.
The graphics on the La Rosa are done with the decalpro system. Google it for info. It is difficult to get those done like that. The new ones will be etched. I think the best pots to use for the Angel are a 100k reverse log and a 470k reverse log, green 9mm pots from smallbear as recommended by Slade. I did just get some of the 12mm alphas recently to try in the little boxes but I could find reverse log in the 12mm.
Cheers,
Chris
                                                            - FANG

Kill Switch

Got some of these along with Single and double poles. Don't know how good they are but I haven't broken one yet.  Cheap in price for sure.
http://www.jpmsupply.com/servlet/the-247/3PDT-ON-fdsh-ON-Miniature-Toggle/Detail

Pigyboy

^^^
Hi Kill Switch,
Thanks for the link. Those look fairly solid. Do you have one or two you'd like to sell or swap for something?
Interesting all of the new suppliers that have come along lately.
Cheers,
Chris
                                                            - FANG

ivanmarch

Hi Chris!

no luck to find those switches in Spain  eh....

You need those switches now or you can wait till september?

I'm asking because in September I want to place an order for myself, so I could add few for you.

I moved from London to Milan 3 weeks ago.    (at last.... sun!!!!!!!)   :icon_cool:

As I was saying, I want to order directly from Salecom Ltd.   They have a distribution office 20Km from where I live now (near Milan).
I will go there and try to figure out a quotation for a bulk of what I need, so I don't have to buy stuff from shops/soucers... hopefully I will save a bit of money...

ivan.

P.S.    thanks for the infos regarding your "la rosa" and the mini chorus.

Kill Switch

Quote from: Pigyboy on August 01, 2011, 04:57:13 AM
^^^
Hi Kill Switch,
Thanks for the link. Those look fairly solid. Do you have one or two you'd like to sell or swap for something?
Cheers,
Chris

I've only got a couple unused left. I know those 3pdt toggles can be hard to find at times . What I can tell you is that they are functionally sound but not as good quality as the mountain switches I normally get through mouser. They have a rougher feel to the switching.  I might get a few more of them myself.

Pigyboy

Quote from: Kill Switch on August 01, 2011, 07:13:07 PM
^^^
Hi Kill Switch,
Cheers,
Chris

I've only got a couple unused left. I know those 3pdt toggles can be hard to find at times . What I can tell you is that they are functionally sound but not as good quality as the mountain switches I normally get through mouser. They have a rougher feel to the switching.  I might get a few more of them myself.
Quote from: Kill Switch on August 01, 2011, 07:13:07 PM
Hi Ivan & Killswitch,
t
Thanks for the info and offers. I already order from futurelec and mouser so I will get some of each you both suggest with my next orders.
Cheers
^^^
Hi Kill Switch,
Cheers,
Chris

Hi Ivan,

- FANG

Taylor

Quote from: asatbluesboy on July 30, 2011, 09:01:37 AM
2P6T would be awesome.

Yep, it would be, but that switch isn't 2p6t. If you look at the PDF it's actually 2p3t but with some multi-connection settings (pole 1 connected to throw 1 and 3, etc.) Could still be very useful but less universal than they make it seem. The "gear shifter" mechanism is pretty cool though in any case.

Pigyboy

Thanks for the info Taylor. Do you know of any other switches with the same movement?  I am going to break down and buy a few of these....
Chris
                                                            - FANG