News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Nano clone noise?

Started by 944cabby, August 02, 2011, 04:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

944cabby

I've just picked up a second-hand ehx nano clone which has a whooshing sound in the background when the pedal is activated.
Now i've had one of these pedals some time ago which i swapped and i can remember it having a bit of background noise but not the repeating whooshing sound that this one has.
Can anyone suggest what could be the cause?
There's 2 trimpots on the pcb - my first thoughts are that they could be faulty?   

pinkjimiphoton

not the trim pots unfortunately...just a piss-poor design. as it's smt, it's a tough fix. you can give it a little more gain by replacing the 82k resistor with 100k, but that still won't fix the noise.

i bought one too, was like, heck, for 20 bucks i'll buy ANY pedal. it's a really nice sounding chorus, but so damn noisy it's unusable in my situation. traded it off, i'd reccomend the same.

this noise issue is why EH already discontinued this box. and why the reissue clone theory so totally, totally sucks monkey mohito.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on August 03, 2011, 12:05:35 PM
not the trim pots unfortunately...just a piss-poor design. as it's smt, it's a tough fix. you can give it a little more gain by replacing the 82k resistor with 100k, but that still won't fix the noise.

i bought one too, was like, heck, for 20 bucks i'll buy ANY pedal. it's a really nice sounding chorus, but so damn noisy it's unusable in my situation. traded it off, i'd reccomend the same.

this noise issue is why EH already discontinued this box. and why the reissue clone theory so totally, totally sucks monkey mohito.
Yup... piss-poor design indeed, I was looking at the schematic... can't see why they did half the shit they did...

Anyway, they dropped it off there line and replaced it with the neo clone which should be a better choice.

The reissue clone theory isn't really a reissue... it's a digital pedal I beleive... dunno why they did that but they did.

pinkjimiphoton

i bought the reissue clone theory when it first came out...i called eh to see if it was gonna be the original circuit.

they LIED to me and said it was, complete with the chor/flange switch. a total piece of crap, and the same noise as the nano clone.

mathews and company should be flogged for that one. eh is not the same.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on August 03, 2011, 12:45:44 PM
i bought the reissue clone theory when it first came out...i called eh to see if it was gonna be the original circuit.

they LIED to me and said it was, complete with the chor/flange switch. a total piece of crap, and the same noise as the nano clone.

mathews and company should be flogged for that one. eh is not the same.
Well... that kinda sucks, although I don't think Matthews has complete control over what his customer service department do and say (He still seems like a straight up guy from all i've seen of him lately)

Hmm... I might convert the original Clone Theory to use a 3207 later if I can be bothered to make the PCB layout.

Nah I still love EHX, they had a bit of a bumpy restart but (besides a bit of quality control issues) things seem to be back on track, alot of good designs coming out from them at good prices.

Still... some of those pedals from the early days  :icon_cool:

pinkjimiphoton

i got very bummed by what they did. i've used eh crap since the beginning, but now i gotta think twice about handing them money.

i actually paid in advance for mine...they weren't even released yet. suck. suck, SUCK!!

was less than useless. if you're up to making a new version, bro, please let me know, cuz i miss mine dearly! i used it as trading fodder to cinch a deal getting my neighbor's kid his first guitar, and when i went back later that day it was already gone. i bought it new in high school, was a big part of "my" sound.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on August 03, 2011, 01:08:09 PM
i got very bummed by what they did. i've used eh crap since the beginning, but now i gotta think twice about handing them money.

i actually paid in advance for mine...they weren't even released yet. suck. suck, SUCK!!

was less than useless. if you're up to making a new version, bro, please let me know, cuz i miss mine dearly! i used it as trading fodder to cinch a deal getting my neighbor's kid his first guitar, and when i went back later that day it was already gone. i bought it new in high school, was a big part of "my" sound.
Well there's already a project for the MN3007 version on toppopiccione.com

Shouldn't be hard to convert though (and 3207 means it'll work off 9V instead of 18)... it's just making a single sided PCB utilising onboard pots that's gunna be the pain in the ass bit... gunna need me some beers.

tiges_ tendres

Yeah, there is a clone theory project.  Although if you're complaining about noise, the og clone theory was no better!

There is even a vero layout:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74101.0

http://sites.google.com/site/electroconducive/EHCloneTheory.pdf

Try a little tenderness.

pinkjimiphoton

nice! thanks bro. i saw that before, but now i think i have the...ummm..."intestinal fortitude" to try and build one.

yah, the originals were noisy, but NOTHING like the reissues. talking a little hiss to detuned tv static!!!

i think i'll give it a shot!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on August 03, 2011, 02:45:11 PM

Yeah, there is a clone theory project.  Although if you're complaining about noise, the og clone theory was no better!

There is even a vero layout:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74101.0

http://sites.google.com/site/electroconducive/EHCloneTheory.pdf

Depends on the version apparently, some were noisy, others not so.

pinkjimiphoton

mine was one of the originals, probably got it in 76 or 77. it had a hiss, but nothing like the reissue!!!! ;)

i think the ones with the chorus/flange switch sounded way better than the ones with the treble boost...i think they just added the tb so that it would hide the hiss in higher frequency hiss!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

944cabby

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on August 03, 2011, 12:05:35 PM

Hmm, i thought it mite be the trimpots as it's a repeating modulation type sound, which is different to the first one i had which i do remember to be more of a background hiss/noise.
Certainly different to this sound.

pinkjimiphoton

may be worth messing with the trimpots then, but i believe they are only for the depth of the effect. i forget, been a couple months since i dumped the one i had.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr