Expression/Volume Pedal

Started by soggybag, August 02, 2011, 11:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggybag

I have an old Ernie ball volume pedal I want to use as an Expression pedal. I've read about people using the newer Ernie Ball 6181 as an expression pedal.

I'm guessing the rough idea is to use a stereo jack on the input and normalize the output jack to ground. Has anyone done this before?

I think I can whip an expression pedal, after some thought I figure I might be able to have both. Plug in a stereo cable for the expression pedal, plug in two mono cables for volume.

After writing all of this I'm starting to think that I need is a stereo cable that splits into two mono cables.

Seljer

The volume pedal is basically a potentiometer, with the top lug connected to input, the middle lug to the output and the third lug grounded.
An expression pedal has a stereo cable with the middle lug connected to the tip, the top lug the the ring (or at least google says so that is the specification)

At first I thought you'd have to do your idea at the end but then I realised you could get away with some switching jacks

Behold my mspaint masterpiece:

fretzburner

my expression pedal connection is the middle pot leg is connected to ring

Seljer

Quote from: fretzburner on August 03, 2011, 09:26:53 AM
my expression pedal connection is the middle pot leg is connected to ring

You could connect the normally closed contact on the output tip to the input side ring connection and then you'd have both options available depending on what piece of gear you're using it with, just plug the stereo cable in the opposite side   :D