U-boat. NEW Smooth sub-octave / synth effect!

Started by merlinb, August 24, 2011, 11:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlinb

Quote from: auden100 on August 25, 2011, 04:50:15 PM
Sounds great, Merlin. Playing around with a perf layout. Just wanted to check if a j201 could replace the j112?
Yeah that should be fine.

Skruffyhound

iccaros

Quote from: merlinb on August 25, 2011, 07:33:19 AM

(I wonder what Grosse Fahrt means? I know what I *think* it means... :icon_lol:)

great ride

its all I can add..

Mike Burgundy

It translates to Full Speed, with Auss. Kraft maximum power available for short periods. I'll never be able to hear "full speed ahead, captain" again without my inner child giggling ;P

Great work!
What's the technique you used to get the rust look?

Gurner

Got to say...top notch work, an elegant (but well thought out) simple circuit (I show traits of obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to designing a circuit vs parts count)   ...presented impeccably too...and all this from a bloke way up in Yorkshire ....by 'eck!  ;D Well done.

blue_lu

Nice work! How is the Uboot sounding and tracking on a Bass?

DC9V

Damn you, Merlinb! Another one to add to the endless to-do list! :icon_mrgreen:

merlinb

Quote(I show traits of obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to designing a circuit vs parts count) 
Heh, I really like getting things into 1550b size enclosures!

QuoteWhat's the technique you used to get the rust look?
I soaked the enclosure in detergent to make it look like steel, then I just painted the rust on with acrylic paints (red, yellow, a fine brush and patience!)

Quote from: blue_lu on August 27, 2011, 03:19:29 PM
Nice work! How is the Uboot sounding and tracking on a Bass?
Dunno, my bass doesn't live with me here. I'll have to get one of my bassist friends to try it for me some time...

~arph

Just discovered this thing  ;D I feel lit deserves a bump to the present. Great pedal!!!!  :icon_mrgreen:

njkmonty

hey Merlinb , hows the sine wave generator build on you photobucket site? also what rotary pot did you use?
uboat sounded good!

~arph

njkmonty

i just downloaded that, ive not come across small style rotary switches like that, are they available from mouser?
the 2p4t switch used for range.

merlinb

Quote from: njkmonty on June 15, 2012, 08:27:44 AM
i just downloaded that, ive not come across small style rotary switches like that, are they available from mouser?

I dunno, I got mine on ebay off a Chinese seller. There are loads on there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pole-4-Position-Panel-PCB-Wiring-Rotary-Switch-2P4T-/330588499247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf89c2d2f

Here's the original thread for the signal generator:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=83930.20

Colonel Angus

I like it!! I want one, this would be perfect for discretely incorporating guitar in this synth project I just started.
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

Spence

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just found this incredible gem and would love to build one.
I'm not a fan of buffered bypass and would like to make this one true bypass. When doing so, can I just leave out Q1, C13, D1, R26 and R27 and put a jumper where the trannie was?

I also noticed an irregularity between the schem and the BOM. C7 is 2n2 in the schematic but on the BOM it's 330pf and C8 goes from 22n to 3n3. Which values are the correct ones?

Thanks in advance.

merlinb

Quote from: Spence on July 29, 2013, 10:51:51 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster. I just found this incredible gem and would love to build one.
I'm not a fan of buffered bypass and would like to make this one true bypass. When doing so, can I just leave out Q1, C13, D1, R26 and R27 and put a jumper where the trannie was?
Yes, exactly.

I also noticed an irregularity between the schem and the BOM. C7 is 2n2 in the schematic but on the BOM it's 330pf and C8 goes from 22n to 3n3. Which values are the correct ones?

Both will work, but the PDF schematic is the most recent and preferred. 22n and 2.2n, with 47k resistors.

scuzzphut

Just a thank-you, Merlin  :)   Been waiting for a good sub-octave to build and this is it.

Chollowell

Im new to the site and was looking around for something fun to check out to start learning about stompbox design and found this gem!
I whipped up an LTspice design to understand all the steps and i have a few questions. :)

I noticed that the pre-gain and lowpass filter has a gain of 5.5 which clips an input signal of more than about 800mV peak to peak. (In my spice simulation it clips at about 650mV)
My understanding is that a guitar signal can be upwards at 1V peak to peak?

When using a sound file as input and generating a sound file as an output i get alot of noise in my output. This is probably due to the way i simulate so im wondering if you have any tips on how to simulate so you atleast have an idea of how it would sound.
Is it possible to get a good sounding simulation?

I have been thinking of making an octave up pedal and thought maybe i could take the inverted square wave coming from U4b and put it straight to the gate on the first jfet to make it a full wave rectification.
What are your thoughts on that? :)

I am very new to stompboxes and im very excited to learn more about everything and anything.
Hope you can help me a little on the way :)