Los Angeles builders - any local place carry PCB drill bits?

Started by glops, September 21, 2011, 11:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glops

I am ordering some stuff from small bear including some bits but I don't want to wait to drill out the 13 boards I
etched over the past few days.  Anyone of you live in the area know of a place where I can get bits for PCB drilling?

My local hardware store has some small bits but they are just a tad bit too big for the boards I have that have super
small pads.  Any pointers would be great.  I am going to call All Electronics tomorrow.  Do Fry's sale Pcb bits?

Thanks a lot -
Richard

theundeadelvis

Try a hobby store. I get mine at a mom and pops hobby store that sells models and trains and such.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

glops

.Mike

Do you have a Harbor Freight near you...?

I picked up some of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/30-piece-hss-mini-drill-set-94606.html

They're junk, but the price is right, and they will work in a pinch.

:)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

glops

Quote from: .Mike on September 22, 2011, 01:05:01 AM
Do you have a Harbor Freight near you...?

I picked up some of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/30-piece-hss-mini-drill-set-94606.html

They're junk, but the price is right, and they will work in a pinch.

:)

Mike

Thanks, man!  I've never ordered from there but almost have in the past.  There's a store 10 miles away, that may be the ticket!

Cheers ;D

nosamiam

You might want to try a Dremel engraving bit. They're only about $4-5, IIRC. I've been using the same one for years and years. They don't break and they are the right size for most component leads (I sometimes have to ream some of the holes out with an x-acto knife for hookup wire. They have them at mom & pop stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

They look like this:

That little ball on the end is the part that does the drilling. The shaft is thick so they don't break and they're made out of something really tough. They fit in a regular drill with no adapter. For me, they speed up my work just a little because the taper of the shaft only allows the bit to go deep enough to get through the PCB. So no "burying" the bit.

I can't recommend it enough.

glops

Quote from: nosamiam on September 23, 2011, 01:17:17 PM
You might want to try a Dremel engraving bit. They're only about $4-5, IIRC. I've been using the same one for years and years. They don't break and they are the right size for most component leads (I sometimes have to ream some of the holes out with an x-acto knife for hookup wire. They have them at mom & pop stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

They look like this:

That little ball on the end is the part that does the drilling. The shaft is thick so they don't break and they're made out of something really tough. They fit in a regular drill with no adapter. For me, they speed up my work just a little because the taper of the shaft only allows the bit to go deep enough to get through the PCB. So no "burying" the bit.

I can't recommend it enough.

I read about people using those before. gonna get one this weekend. Thanks, man!