News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

knob inserts?

Started by colorbars, September 22, 2011, 10:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colorbars

Does anyone know where you can buy plastic inserts/bushings for making your own knobs?

Thanks!

smallbearelec

Quote from: colorbars on September 22, 2011, 10:16:14 PM
Does anyone know where you can buy plastic inserts/bushings for making your own knobs?

As far as making your own knobs, it has been done using Bondo and similar epoxy filler-resins. I have taken plastic bottle caps and filled them with Bondo to create "buttons" that could also be the basis for knobs. But I don't know of any manufacturer that will sell set screws, bushings, etc., separately. I can't see why they would want to, since most customers want a complete, attractive, reliable part.

What did you have in mind to do?

Jaicen_solo

Actually, that's something i've been looking for myself to reproduce old knobs off a GR300 and TR808. They're unobtainium now.

colorbars

I'm looking to make some wooden knobs and I've notices when looking at custom made ones they just seem to have been drilled out and had a plastic fluted bushing glued in place.

R.G.

1. Buy cheap plastic knobs which have brass inserts like you want.
2. Break/cut away the cheap plastic, leaving the insert.
3. Mold/cast your knob around the inserts.
4. Relax and contemplate while the stuff sets up.
5. Take the rest of the day off. You've earned it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

smallbearelec

Picking up on R. G.'s suggestion: For an insert for a wooden knob, maybe start with one of these:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=1037

They are inexpensive and have the brass insert and set screw. You might not even have to take the knob apart; maybe just bore a suitable-size cavity in the wooden "button," fill partly with Bondo and press the knob in place. You'd have to work out a way to protect the hole for the set screw, but I think that could be managed.

davent

I've used machines screws to construct small wood projects and just drill and tap the wood to accept the screw. I've used screws as small as 4/40's and 6/32's with success and considering you don't really need to crank down the screw to hold the knob to the pot shaft you might get away with this using a nice solid hard wood for the knob and the correct orientation of threads to grain direction. To further re-inforce the thread drip some super glue onto the freshly cut threads, let it dry then run the tap down through again to trim it up neat again.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg