Compressor-boost in one box

Started by elflicho87, September 23, 2011, 03:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elflicho87

Hi folks,
this is my first post here, so let me know if I'm doing somethin wrong...

I have a question: I'm planning to wire two effects in one box, a compressor and a boost. Does it make any sense to you to put a switch to change the order of the effects?
I've read that, usually, the compressor is the first effect to put in the signal chain but... someone says that you can obtain some cool sounds from a boost feeding a compressor.
So, let me know what you think...
thanks!

petemoore

Compressors boost [usually], most compressors boost enough so that 9v supply won't accomodate a whole lot more gain/output level without distortion, from typical booster...and would already be considered a 'hot' or 'loud' output.
   Comps expect a certain type of signal strength to trigger the gain reduction, greater signal strenth = greater gain reduction, a booster may make a really weak source start to trigger the compression, or a strong enough source..boosted can 'pin' the gain reduction near or at minimum gain, only allowing gain to rise when a very low signal is coming from the guitar.
  So...boost after if you really need it [most comps have a pretty 'hot' output].  ...and boost before...why not try it out !
   Speakers and tube amps are compressors, these compressors tend to comp when they are 'pushed' [say by a boosted input], and accompanying distortion or frequency changes can be expected to accompany the compression.
   "Compressor" [in circuit-speak] is an amplifier with an auto-gain control circuit [reduction] which ramps amplification factor by detecting/responding to frequency 'strength'. A hard strummed-low note chords feed a higher voltage input to the gain-detection circuit which controls gain reduction [ramping it down], as signal strength drops [same chord is allowed to fade or strings are muted] ... the gain follows by ramping up.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gurner

Not sure I could put it any clearer than that.

My take...the compressor is to reduce the somewhat chunky dynamic range of your guitar (ie brings the low level signal up, and takes the high level signal down - tried to average it out)...because of the reduced dynamic range that a compressor brings, you can therefore get your guitar up in the mix (be it a band, recording etc)

It makes no sense to put a boost before a compressor, as then it'll just have a more difficult job ......remember a compressor is to reduce the dynamic range, by boosting your signal before the compressor you've increased the dynamic range into the compressor ...which is gonna piss it right off - when it gets pissed off, you may actually enjoy the experience as you'll likely get more pronounced pumping (pumping here meaning the thing the compressor does to try & even out your signal level)

Mark Hammer

I actually used a compressor AS my booster for several years.  Some can have fairly hefty output levels when dimed.

In which case, it is possible to have a compressor with selectable volume presets, if all one is looking for is a bump for solos.

Alternatively, as a straightforward "front end", the choice of pushing other pedals or an amp with an uncompressed OR a compressed boosted signal is a reasonable choice.  In that circumstance, what a person might want is two stompswitches: one for overall bypass, and one to select between compressor or booster.

Philippe

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 23, 2011, 09:37:23 AM
I actually used a compressor AS my booster for several years.  Some can have fairly hefty output levels when dimed.
*roger on that one* Just crank up the bias on an OS...while you'll lose some squashing effect, there's plenty of db boost in that particular circuit.