broken function generator suggestions

Started by jaapie, September 25, 2011, 07:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaapie

I got a pretty good deal on a bundle of test equipment on craigslist today: an older BK precision 20MHz scope, a couple of isolation transformers, a 500W variable AC supply, and a couple of signal generators. One is an older 100kHz-150MHz generator that works fine, the other is a BK 3026 function generator... the guy said it turned on for a while before i came over, but it shut off and won't come on since then. He knocked another $30 off the total since the generator didn't work, so I'm still happy with the scope and other stuff for $200.

I'd be REALLY happy, though, if I can get this function generator working. I opened it up and nothing looked immediately burned out, and the fuse looks like it's still okay. I can get some new fuses and try them, but if the problem is a lot more complicated than that I'll probably have to get someone else to look at it. Would it be worthwhile to try and get it fixed? I've got no idea what that would cost, and it doesn't look like BK supports that model any more. Would a local consumer electronics repair place be able to fix it, or do I need someone more specialized?

defaced

See if you can find a schematic, that will make your life much easier.  If you can, start with the power supply and verify it's working first.  If you get good voltages with low ripple there, start at the output of the generator work your way backwards until you start to get signal again.  That will help you isolate where the issue is. 
-Mike