Beginner DIY Analog Delay Project?

Started by carboncomp, September 26, 2011, 01:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carboncomp

Anyone got a recommendation for a beginner level Analog Delay project?

Seen a vero for the Aqua Puss, but was wondering if there is anything else out there?  :icon_mrgreen:

Mark Hammer

Right now, the max bang for the buck would be something in the PT2399 ballpark.  Those chips can be gotten for as little as 51 cents (though there have been unconfirmed alarms raised about noise on the cheapest ones).

But if you are only in search of something pretty basic, and not insisting on audiophile specs, it is hard to beat the cost of any of the 2399-based projects here.

Alternatively, if you can score yourself a Danelectro FAB Echo cheaply (and they can be gotten for as little as $15 in some places), they can be easily modded.  In the grand scheme of things, that might be just what a "beginner" needs.

Scruffie

Only other actual BBD delay that's close in complexity to the Aqua Puss is the AD-3208 (Vero in the layouts section too).

There is also the PCB I did for the EHX Full Double Tracker which is probably the simplest analog delay there is, but the PCB is unverified, there's no companding so it may be noisy/whine, there's a volume drop and it only has 2 fixed short delay times.

Otherwise yeah, go with a PT2399, Analog Delay just aint that simple.

Beo

I'm putting together an Aquaboy from Madbean. His boards and documentation are great. It looks like he has two new delay projects coming this fall - Dirtbag Deluxe and Aquaboy Deluxe.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

merlinb

This PT2399 delay supposedly emulates an analog sound, and is certainly beginner friendly!
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=713&hilit=deep+blue

runmikeyrun

The PT-80 delay on generalguitargadgets.com is a pretty easy build.  It's also PT2399 based.  I think he offers a PCB and maybe even a kit too.  There's some easy mods for it too- extending the delay time and getting a really lo-fi sound, flashing LED tempo indicator and an effects loop so you can put effects on the delayed signal.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Renegadrian

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 26, 2011, 01:37:30 PM
Right now, the max bang for the buck would be something in the PT2399 ballpark.  Those chips can be gotten for as little as 51 cents (though there have been unconfirmed alarms raised about noise on the cheapest ones).

But if you are only in search of something pretty basic, and not insisting on audiophile specs, it is hard to beat the cost of any of the 2399-based projects here.

Alternatively, if you can score yourself a Danelectro FAB Echo cheaply (and they can be gotten for as little as $15 in some places), they can be easily modded.  In the grand scheme of things, that might be just what a "beginner" needs.

I happily did both!!!  ;D Rehoused a Fab echo (that wasn't so easy!) and some Rebote 2!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!