Abomidable Snowman (rated WN for Weird & Noisy)

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, September 26, 2011, 05:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUZZZZzzzz

was just fooling around.. sorry for the terrible schematic.. should be working.. double checked.. for those who love weirdness.. hooray for noisy!!  :P

btw led lights up with played intensity

"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

FUZZZZzzzz

almost forgot to describe the sound: Picture yourself playing guitar in the pouring rain while  tiny people are fighting with lightsabers inside your amp and somebody gave you a            behringer distortion box for xmas and you just have to use it because his best friend is helping you with the recording and you dont want to look ungrateful

defaced

My next perf build?  I think so.  Sound awesomely a Abominable.
-Mike

FUZZZZzzzz

im thinking rotary for different output caps.. and rotary on the spot of the hi/mid switch.. (0nf / 1nf / 2nf/ 4 nf and so on.. ) mmmmm  :icon_razz:

runmikeyrun

deliciously simple circuit... low parts count... and I'm a sucker for noise fx... I'll be breadboarding this soon!  Thanks!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

MetalUpYerEye

How about some sound clipssss?  ;D

NC is ...?

Out is from pin 5 in parallel with the LED right?

deadastronaut

Quote from: MetalUpYerEye on September 28, 2011, 03:01:50 PM
How about some sound clipssss?  ;D

NC is ...?

Out is from pin 5 in parallel with the LED right?

+1 for clips.. ;)

N.C = no connection...

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

FUZZZZzzzz

soundclips are coming.. i have it on breadboard at home.. maybe tonight :icon_wink:
theres still some space for improvement..

yes.. out from pin 5 is parallel with the led.. indeed.

only the dotted lines are connected with each other.. pretty obvious but to be sure..

has anyone tried this so far? so it can be verified..

FUZZZZzzzz

output rotary caps and hi/mid rotary caps are fun to do and gives you everything up to motorboating..

FUZZZZzzzz

sorry guys for the sample delay.. no time tonight.. have been struggling with bandcamp (bandrelated stuff obviously) and had to complete two other projects.. now its going to take untill after the weekend if no one beats me to it (come on its a piece of sweet cake on the breadboard)..

MetalUpYerEye

It is a very simple circuit...

I might just have to sit down with the old breadboard this weekend if i'm not too busy drinking and falling down and such. ::) Heck, I might even have a good time!

StevieLaser

Just built one  ;D

First up, I didn't have many 5mm LEDs about. Used a couple of smaller ones and fried them! Then dug a 5mm blue LED out of an old retired project. I got sound out but either no sustain at all, or infinite noise with guitar signal very much in the background. Then I took a 5mm red LED out of another project. This one behaves better! So, I can't say if mine performs anything like FUZZZZzzzz's, because the choice of LEDs seems to be important.

I'll try to record a quick clip.

StevieLaser

No clips tonight, got to go out. Tomorrow for sure.

FUZZZZzzzz

Hi stevielaser.. i've used green and red 5 mm leds for this on breadboard.. the reds work better..(im using cheap ones) so im guessing it does matter.
keep in mind that its not your average overdrive/fuzz and that theres still a load of improvements to make

ill post some samples tomorrow. just got a new interface so its going to be a good test.

FUZZZZzzzz

and.. if you leave the led out at all.. it wil  oscillate like theres no tomorrow.. ;D

runmikeyrun

have this half built on perf... waiting on a few parts from small bear to finish it.  I think i ordered a puke orange enclosure for it lol.  Contemplating on a rotary switch/multiple caps... what would different value caps do to the sound??

I'm hoping this plays nice with my active bass.  If anyone can also post bass sound clips that would be great.  Otherwise, I'll just wait and see lol.
Bassist for Foul Spirits

FUZZZZzzzz

on the hi/mid a bigger value of caps will give more treble/highness.. double it from the existing 10nf for different results.. a higher output cap  gives more noise/oscillating.. it will motorboat on 10uf making it practically unusable.. but just play around will values for a better result.. i want to play with it myself, but still more other things that need to go first.. maybe..

today i thought about a sag knob as well.. and may maybe including the buff n blend circuit to blend the clean signal with the effect.. much to think about..

FUZZZZzzzz

Quote from: runmikeyrun on October 03, 2011, 04:45:30 PM
have this half built on perf... waiting on a few parts from small bear to finish it.  I think i ordered a puke orange enclosure for it lol.  Contemplating on a rotary switch/multiple caps... what would different value caps do to the sound??

I'm hoping this plays nice with my active bass.  If anyone can also post bass sound clips that would be great.  Otherwise, I'll just wait and see lol.

btw.. if you want something simple and cool for your bass.. try one simple project i did about a year ago.. try search for the thingamabob nintendo fuzz.. uses 386 as well and very low part count ;) samples included

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=84195.0
there it is!

electricteeth

The only thing about the thingamabob i can complain about is that sometimes when i build the circuit the 386 starts to overheat? Putting a small resistor between v+ and pin 6 cured it for me though.

runmikeyrun

Ok i tried this build... lots of hissing and noise.  I get a very loud guitar signal for the first second and then it gets very quiet amongst the hiss and noise.  Not really any oscillation.  I'm using a red LED- might try some different colors tomorrow.  Also, the LED is solid, is it supposed to flicker with the signal?  I have only tried it on guitar so far, hope to try it on bass next week.

The other circuit you suggested looks cool, if I can't get this one to work properly I'll try that one.
Bassist for Foul Spirits