200 ohm potentiometers?

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, October 31, 2011, 03:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUZZZZzzzz

im looking for potentiometers with the value of 200 ohms, but not the trimpot but an actual pot. is it easy to bring down the value of a higher pot like 1k or something?
can someone direct me to the maths? or is it impossible to get nice results..
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

boogietone

Assuming my envelope math is right you will need a 250 ohm resistor wired in parallel (one outer lug to wiper) with a 1K pot.

1       1      1
----- =  --- + ------
200      R     1000

Your closest values are 220 ohms or 270 ohm in the E12/E24 series, or you have a 249 ohm in the E96 series (http://www.logwell.com/tech/components/resistor_values.html).

Note that doing this will alter the effective taper of the pot turning a linear pot in to a pseudo audio pot (http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm).
An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

FUZZZZzzzz

thank you Mr Boogietone :)

that was also the link i was looking for. maybe its easier to put a 12 position rotary in there with values between 0 and 200 ohm..
i will also try your example see if it works..

thanks!
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

LucifersTrip

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on October 31, 2011, 04:41:29 PM
thank you Mr Boogietone :)

that was also the link i was looking for. maybe its easier to put a 12 position rotary in there with values between 0 and 200 ohm..
i will also try your example see if it works..

thanks!

when you change a pot w/ a parallel resistor, note that the bigger difference between the R and pot, the more the taper will be skewed. So, if you're going to do that, it'd be best to use a 500 ohm pot, which is easy to get.

btw, in my sale list, I had 50 ohm and 100 ohm pots...I'll see if i have any near 200 ohm

always think outside the box

.Mike

What about getting a dual pot? Tayda has a dual 500-Ohm for $0.80.

Run them in parallel and you cover 0 to 250-Ohm, which is kind of close.

Mike

If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.