Tube Overdrive: Seeking schematic, layout, parts list and instructions

Started by Henry89789, November 01, 2011, 05:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry89789

I want to build a tube overdrive pedal that uses  12AU7  or 12AX7 tubes. I have done a lot of online research and there is so much material that it is too time consuming to sort through and confusing as well. I am hoping someone can provide a verified schematic as well as layout, parts list and instructions (or a link that contains all this info)  to build one.  I am still a novice at this and want to attempt an ambitious project but I need a lot of detailed info to do it. Thanks in advance for any help and info.

kurtlives

A couple of threads down from yours
"Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery"

No one's going to do all the work for you. That's an easy project to start, have fun!
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Henry89789

Thanks. Yeah I saw that thread. 129 pages!  A lot of the information seems to be inconsistent. That is what I meant by time consuming.  I don't expect anyone "to do all the work for me".      I have responded to other threads where people ask for something and if I have already done the research and have the info I will give it.  If someone ALREADY has a schematic, layout, parts list, etc. then it is NOT DOING ALL THE WORK FOR ME TO JUST POST IT.   BY WHAT STRETCH OF YOUR IMAGINATION IS THAT DOING ALL THE WORK FOR ME?????  What do you consider to be the purpose of these forums?  Stingy ostentatious displays? Sharing of information? Or both?  I see a lot of threads with people asking for information. That is all I am asking:   IF SOMEONE ALREADY HAS THE INFORMATION, WILL YOU PROVIDE IT?   If not, fine, don't bother to reply with a snide remark that is provocative and not helpful .

defaced

The reason there are so many inconsistent answers are because tube technology is very old and there are TONS of circuits that fit your (and many people's) description of a "tube drive".  Tubes are also sloppy little devices that work across a wide range of operating conditions, so their circuits tend to be equally variable.  If you can refine your request a little, we can point you in a more useful direction.  Do you know how to work with high voltage?  Do you want something that goes from clean to just a little bit of dirt or from kinda dirty to full on distortion?  You want something that's all tube or can it have some silicon in it?  How about the number of tubes you're willing to work with?  There's alot of variables, so a little guidance will get you some good results.  

That said, most of the projects posted here require some work on the part of the builder before building.  Sometimes it's a layout, other times a parts list, other times adjustment because you don't have/can't get the required parts.  I wouldn't expect a complete fully documented project out of your request.  A schematic and *maybe* a layout is what you're likely to get. 
-Mike

Suicufnoc

Dude chill.  There's a schematic in the first post of that thread, and there's a layout on the first page.  That's probably enough to build one.  There hasn't  really been a simple set of instructions written out on how to build the Valvecaster, because everyone builds theirs differently.  There's some mods later on like the use of a voltage regulator to get rid of noise, which is recommended.  Another popular mod is a voltage multiplier to get the tubes plates at a higher voltage.
The thread is really long, but it would really be to your benefit to read as much of it as you can.  You can do a better build if you understand the ins and outs of the effect before you start.

Quote from: Henry89789 on November 01, 2011, 10:08:37 PM
Thanks. Yeah I saw that thread. 129 pages!  A lot of the information seems to be inconsistent. That is what I meant by time consuming.  I don't expect anyone "to do all the work for me".      I have responded to other threads where people ask for something and if I have already done the research and have the info I will give it.  If someone ALREADY has a schematic, layout, parts list, etc. then it is NOT DOING ALL THE WORK FOR ME TO JUST POST IT.   BY WHAT STRETCH OF YOUR IMAGINATION IS THAT DOING ALL THE WORK FOR ME?????  What do you consider to be the purpose of these forums?  Stingy ostentatious displays? Sharing of information? Or both?  I see a lot of threads with people asking for information. That is all I am asking:   IF SOMEONE ALREADY HAS THE INFORMATION, WILL YOU PROVIDE IT?   If not, fine, don't bother to reply with a snide remark that is provocative and not helpful .
Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words can get you shot

markeebee

Ronan

Edit final - why worry. Such is life.

Perrow

Lets put it this way, if the good people on this site find it worth their while to write 129 pages of information about a circuit, it's probably worth your while to look at some of that information.

Now start reading, and when the reading starts to hurt you hopefully know enough to a) know if you want to build it and b) know how to build it.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Ronan

Yeah right I get it.

Henry, there is a place on this forum for beginners projects where you can learn.

alparent

Quote from: Henry89789 on November 01, 2011, 10:08:37 PM
Thanks. Yeah I saw that thread. 129 pages!  A lot of the information seems to be inconsistent. That is what I meant by time consuming.  I don't expect anyone "to do all the work for me".      I have responded to other threads where people ask for something and if I have already done the research and have the info I will give it.  If someone ALREADY has a schematic, layout, parts list, etc. then it is NOT DOING ALL THE WORK FOR ME TO JUST POST IT.   BY WHAT STRETCH OF YOUR IMAGINATION IS THAT DOING ALL THE WORK FOR ME?????  What do you consider to be the purpose of these forums?  Stingy ostentatious displays? Sharing of information? Or both?  I see a lot of threads with people asking for information. That is all I am asking:   IF SOMEONE ALREADY HAS THE INFORMATION, WILL YOU PROVIDE IT?   If not, fine, don't bother to reply with a snide remark that is provocative and not helpful .

Relax man!  First thing to learn on a forum is not to be susceptible. I've been a member of this forum long enough to know that these are good people. If a remark seems like a "snide remark that is provocative" ..... 99% of the time it's not......you just took it wrong. (I know, I did it sometimes  :'()

And kurtlives did give you a link to usefull information....

Quote from: kurtlives on November 01, 2011, 05:48:43 PM
A couple of threads down from yours
"Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery"

And on a possitive note......
Thanks markeebee

Quote from: markeebee on November 02, 2011, 04:16:07 AM
Despite that, all the info and diagrams you need are in an easily digestible form here:

http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/12AU7-6111_Valve_Caster_Summary_Rev002.pdf

Great! I've also been itching to do something with tubes. Never worked with them.....so I also need something simple.

Good luck with your build Henry89789........don't forget to post your progress!

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!