News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Ibanez Jet Drive

Started by Paul Marossy, November 03, 2011, 11:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Just saw this in a Guitar Center mailer I got in the mail a few days ago. Anyone know if it's a new circuit or not? It looks a lot like a repackaged Turbo Tube Screamer looking at the exterior of the thing. Just curious if anyone knows anything about it...

Paul Marossy

It doesn't sound too bad. I wonder what it looks like circuitwise.

Chugs

SD-9 Sonic distortion with mids control?

StephenGiles

It's a pretty pointless pedal if you ask me. Is that guy resting his guitar on his beer gut??
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Chugs on November 05, 2011, 05:13:20 AM
SD-9 Sonic distortion with mids control?

Hmm... maybe.

Quote from: StephenGiles on November 05, 2011, 07:07:11 AM
It's a pretty pointless pedal if you ask me. Is that guy resting his guitar on his beer gut??

I think it could be useful in the right hands. I'm just wondering if it's a new design or a tweak on an existing one.

ddpawel

Paul Marossy

Hmm... yeah maybe it's a re-labeled/slightly tweaked(?) ST-9.

newfish

Quote from: StephenGiles on November 05, 2011, 07:07:11 AM

That Man drunk a lot of beer... <hic>

Another decent Demo by the Tone King.  Like the sound of that one...
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

Paul Marossy

I bought one today. Gonna mess around with it and see how it works for me.

newfish

Quote from: Paul Marossy on November 11, 2011, 10:11:01 PM
I bought one today. Gonna mess around with it and see how it works for me.

Cool!  Very interested in your report.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

Paul Marossy

I used it last night, it sounds pretty good I think. I'm trying to think of what to compare it to, but I can't quite put a finger on it.

Paul Marossy

One curious thing about this pedal is that it makes a little bit of a popping noise when I switch it on/off. My TS-9 and TS808 reissue don't do that. I thought only mechanically switched true bypass pedals had that problem...  :icon_question:

PRR

> I thought only mechanically switched true bypass pedals had that problem... 

Any switch can do that.

Usually the electronic switch designer has to "think" and use a lot of little parts, so pop-control is designed-in.

Leaky (overly cheap) caps can foil the designers' intent.
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

I'm wondering if mine is defective. I'm sure that this pedal has the same switching scheme as every other Ibanez pedal does. My other Ibanez pedals don't do this. Maybe I need to take it back and get a new one...

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: Paul Marossy on November 07, 2011, 11:10:28 AM
Hmm... yeah maybe it's a re-labeled/slightly tweaked(?) ST-9.

The ST9 and STL use a dual pot for the mid control. This one does'n't seem to utilize a dual pot.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: Paul Marossy on November 28, 2011, 11:44:24 AM
One curious thing about this pedal is that it makes a little bit of a popping noise when I switch it on/off. My TS-9 and TS808 reissue don't do that. I thought only mechanically switched true bypass pedals had that problem...  :icon_question:

Looking at your pic suggests the whole bypass flipflop circuit is absent. Might be they use the same 4pdt miniature switch seen in the current Maxon niners. Check what's underneath the switch and you'll know.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Chugs

I have a Maxon AD-9 Pro delay which I believe uses a miniature 4dpdt  for true bypass. Nice delay but it pops when I turn it on. It also cuts the signal momentarily when turning on or off. Really annoying. I wish they had stuck with buffered bypass. 

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Dirk_Hendrik on November 29, 2011, 04:31:12 AMLooking at your pic suggests the whole bypass flipflop circuit is absent. Might be they use the same 4pdt miniature switch seen in the current Maxon niners. Check what's underneath the switch and you'll know.

It's not my picture, but that is an interesting point. Could be the case.

Quote from: Chugs on November 29, 2011, 08:55:31 AM
I have a Maxon AD-9 Pro delay which I believe uses a miniature 4dpdt  for true bypass. Nice delay but it pops when I turn it on. It also cuts the signal momentarily when turning on or off. Really annoying. I wish they had stuck with buffered bypass.

Huh, that's kind of lame. I'm not going to take my Jet Driver apart to find out, but it sounds like maybe that is what they are doing these days. So I guess I'm wrong about it using an FET flip-flop for circuit bypass. Gee, why fix it if it ain't broke? See this is a perfect example of how true bypass mania is not always a positive thing.

According to this article, the Jet Driver is a true bypass pedal: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Aug/Ibanez_JD9_Jet_Driver_Pedal_Review.aspx
They say that it's a standard TS circuit with a mid-control.

They have some work to do. 98% of my high gain DIY pedals are true bypass and they don't pop when switching on/off..

Paul Marossy

Just for the record, I like the pedal. It works pretty well with my '95 Parker Fly Deluxe and my self-modded '98 Fender 2x12 Hot Rod DeVille with Celestion speakers in it.

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it works for me.  :icon_cool: