News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

quick question

Started by fatfoot51, November 04, 2011, 11:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatfoot51

I've been busy lately but I had time to power up my amp so I did a comparison of my two big muffs.. I had the ic version and the transistor version with tone bypass side by side.. the transistor version you can change the tone without a volume change... is it normal for the ic version not on tone bypass to have the tone and sustain knobs affecting the volume? ie roll back the volume when the tone and sustain are cranked.  Thanks

Earthscum

That's normal. Sustain will push up the output volume in either one, but in the transistor BMP, the tone stack and volume are separated by a buffer (well... gain stage). In the IC Muff, as you roll the tone knob back and forth, the impedance shifts, which changes the ratio of the resistance from amp to output, and output to ground (the voltage divider). In the Transistor BMP, the tone's impedance changes don't affect any resistance before the volume pot.

Hope that helps.   :icon_wink:
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

fatfoot51

Thanks Dave!  ;D Dave, right? I never had it explained that fully before! I'm new to the pedal thing.. I bought them both this summer and the ic version wasn't working for a long time.. I finally got the pedal working with the help from this forum so I forgot about the nuances! I was really happy with the tone so when I got it to the correct volume I'd play guitar until I was tired and turned it off...I didn't get to tweak the settings until yesterday once I got over the initial satisfaction of getting the pedal working.. Thanks again! :icon_biggrin:

DavenPaget

Quote from: fatfoot51 on November 05, 2011, 02:45:57 PM
Thanks Dave!  ;D Dave, right? I never had it explained that fully before! I'm new to the pedal thing.. I bought them both this summer and the ic version wasn't working for a long time.. I finally got the pedal working with the help from this forum so I forgot about the nuances! I was really happy with the tone so when I got it to the correct volume I'd play guitar until I was tired and turned it off...I didn't get to tweak the settings until yesterday once I got over the initial satisfaction of getting the pedal working.. Thanks again! :icon_biggrin:
I had once repaired my friend's ( whom i met at my guitar shop ) metal muff and tested it  :icon_mrgreen:
All muffs have something special , the only thing i liked of all the muffs were it's weird tonal shift . Also known as the "Muff Tone Stack"
Hiatus