Soft Clipping, Bazz Fuss, and FETs (N00bish Qs)

Started by jafo, November 06, 2011, 02:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jafo

Just checking my understanding, but the diode in a Bazz Fuss (between base and collector) is simply a half-wave clipper in the feedback loop, right? If so, would the equivalent in a FET circuit therefore be a diode between drain and gate? (Well, assuming common-emitter/source.)

How about a half-wave rectifier in there? I know that you can ground a signal via a 1n5819 Shottky and get a degraded sitar tone (see here); it'd prolly be worth a try.

Alas, I'm the victim of too much caffeine and a lack of 24-hour electronics supply houses. Being an enthusiastic n00b doesn't help, either.
I know that mojo in electronics comes from design, but JFETs make me wonder...

DavenPaget

Quote from: jafo on November 06, 2011, 02:14:52 AM
Just checking my understanding, but the diode in a Bazz Fuss (between base and collector) is simply a half-wave clipper in the feedback loop, right? If so, would the equivalent in a FET circuit therefore be a diode between drain and gate? (Well, assuming common-emitter/source.)

How about a half-wave rectifier in there? I know that you can ground a signal via a 1n5819 Shottky and get a degraded sitar tone (see here); it'd prolly be worth a try.

Alas, I'm the victim of too much caffeine and a lack of 24-hour electronics supply houses. Being an enthusiastic n00b doesn't help, either.

Yes , the diodes are the same in a fet , between d&s .
I believe half-wave rectifiers aren't really tried for some reason i don't know ._.
grounding the signal output is known as shunting the signal to ground via diodes , another stage of distortion .
Hiatus