Cutting Pot Shafts with Dremel

Started by swinginguitar, November 30, 2011, 12:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Processaurus

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 30, 2011, 01:41:47 PM
I'm a vice-and-hacksaw guy too.  Thinking about it, though, I probably need to come up with some sort of "bib" or apron to fit over the pot so that the little metal bits from the sawing don't end up inside the pot.  I suppose it is as simple as a piece of aluminum foil over the pot with the shaft poking through.

That's a legit concern.  Gravity is a good way to keep the metal particles out, if you can hang the pot upside down, like if you put it upside down, with the shaft sticking straight down into the vice, and cut it sideways.

amptramp

Quote from: Processaurus on December 01, 2011, 08:06:25 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 30, 2011, 01:41:47 PM
I'm a vice-and-hacksaw guy too.  Thinking about it, though, I probably need to come up with some sort of "bib" or apron to fit over the pot so that the little metal bits from the sawing don't end up inside the pot.  I suppose it is as simple as a piece of aluminum foil over the pot with the shaft poking through.

That's a legit concern.  Gravity is a good way to keep the metal particles out, if you can hang the pot upside down, like if you put it upside down, with the shaft sticking straight down into the vice, and cut it sideways.

If you do it like I did, with the shaft in the chuck of the drill press, centrifugal force is all the protection you need.