pedal lighting -- light plates or bi-color LEDs?

Started by Kirk A, December 08, 2011, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk A

With respect to the lighted plates, is the issue style or practicality? Why not use bi-color LEDs?

As I have been assembling my first order, my LED research gave me an "a-ha!" moment. If you're building for a pedal-board with a power supply (and not batteries) why not go with bi-color LEDs? Like the light plates, they provide some degree of information that the pedal has power, even in the "off" state. And they cue the location of each pedal in a pitch black environment -- and if you don't know what's where on your board, then that's another matter.

So, I am considering employing red/green LEDs for my pedals, beginning with my first construction, and possibly retrofitting some others. I'm puzzled that I haven't already heard of others choosing to do this. To me, it just makes sense.  Other than battery life, any counter-points?
-Kirk

Keppy

Just that on a large pedalboard, where many effects have different colored LEDs, having the light just switch on or off makes it easier to tell which state is on. Trying to remember which pedal has which color scheme at a glance sounds like a pain.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

MerleDawson

Quote from: Keppy on December 08, 2011, 10:02:39 PM
Just that on a large pedalboard, where many effects have different colored led lights, having the light just switch on or off makes it easier to tell which state is on. Trying to remember which pedal has which color scheme at a glance sounds like a pain.

hello can you built such pedal lights for me or just tell the right source to get them? Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

greaser_au

I'd suggest setting it up with (say) a fairly dim red for off and brighter green (ranging to yellow depending if you want to switch the red)  for on...   With a light plate there would be no reason not to just use 2 (or perhaps more) LEDs to make different colours of your choice.  Why not use an RGB LED, and then use the blue for the rate indicator on LFO effects?  Or perhaps some other permutation?   Feel free to contact me for my concept licensing arrangements   :)

david

chromesphere

guitarpcb ahhh, pcb's are set up this way (bi-color LED).  But you know....they don't look as cool....

<--- (subtly points to his own profile picture)

:D
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube