power throught midi cable

Started by bent, December 18, 2011, 10:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bent

hello,

i'm building a midi unit, and want to use the midi cable to power my unit...."phantom power" like the gcx ground control pro does...

my question is: what is the MAXIMUM current ( A or mA ) a midi cable can support.....?

I search the net, but could'nt find the answer....

bent
Long live the music.....

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Gurner

That's the plug rating not the cable rating (& it's the cable that's likely to be the weak point) .... 13 way cable used for midi guitar, normally uses rather feeble wire for each of the cores, I reckon your best bet would be dive on a decent suppliers site (Digikey, RS UK), look up 13 way cable of similar outside diameter & then see what kind of wire used for each of the cores....you can then google to establish the approximate current handling ability....bear in mind midi guitar only uses 12 cores....so if buying 13 core cable you can double up by pressing the unused core into play (additionally midi cable uses bipolar supply, so if you are going bespoke, say single supply, you can press both of these wires into service)

Edit: Just realised you're referrring to a 5 pin midi cable (not the 13 way as used in a midi guitar cable), but nevertheless the approach is the same, find the gauge of wire used & then you're pretty much home & dry wrt establishing the current handling ability.

ubersam

Maybe you can derive the max amp rating using the conductor's wire gauge. The Mogami W2948 midi cable, for example, uses 26AWG wire. According to this table, 26AWG wire could handle 360mA. Although, there would be reduction factors consider: insulation type, number of conductors bundled , etc.

PRR

Maybe, instead of asking what the MAXimum is, Bent should estimate what the unit really needs. If this turns out to be a 50mA-100mA project, there's no worry.
  • SUPPORTER

bent

around 700 mA , maybe if i use two wire in parallel to supply the power, if both wire can support 500 mA, using 2 should support the 700 mA ?
Long live the music.....

bent

instead of a midi cable I was thinking to use a ethernet cable, they are ( I saw somewhere) 24awg, so supposed to handle 500mA....

BTW, it's 12 vdc 700mA that i need to transfer...
Long live the music.....

DavenPaget

Quote from: bent on December 27, 2011, 08:43:51 AM
instead of a midi cable I was thinking to use a ethernet cable, they are ( I saw somewhere) 24awg, so supposed to handle 500mA....
802.3at Type 2 RJ45 Recommends maximum 34.2W but 10W is dissipated in the cables ... thin wtf .
Cat 5e cables give you 12R5 resistance and 600mA max current , midi cables are Better .
Hiatus

bent

do you know the current rating of midi cable ?
Long live the music.....

DavenPaget

Quote from: bent on December 27, 2011, 08:53:42 AM
do you know the current rating of midi cable ?
Fine . i read elsewhere they said it's about 100ma-200ma . Go ahead with the RJ45 plan .
Hiatus

bent

thank's.... rj45 and using 2 wires should do the job !
Long live the music.....