Multi effect switching question?

Started by J0K3RX, January 09, 2012, 02:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0K3RX

Hi, I was wondering if anybody would have any idea on how to get one effect to switch off or bypass when another is switched on? Let me explain... I have built a stomp with 1 overdrive and 2 separate distortion pedals in it. It goes like this: (OD - Dist1 - Dist2) what I am wanting to do is when you switch from one distortion to the other I want it to turn the other one off and visa versa.. Rather than turning one off and then truning the other one on, just toggle between the two. Hit one stomp switch and it simultaneously turn one disto pedal on and the other disto pedal off... Any diagrams for this? Am I making sense? :icon_rolleyes:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Seljer

With both pedals always on, this will switch between the two of them with a DPDT switch (use a 3PDT for an indicator LED)
            main input
                   |
                   V
               _________
FX A send --->| 0  0  0 |<-- FX B send
FX A return ->| 0  0  0 |<-- FX B return
               ---------
                   Λ
                   |
            main output

You might want to add another switch to bypass both of them

J0K3RX

Hmmm? Not sure about that.. Can you explain it a little better? Not saying it's wrong, I am probably just not getting it, wouldn't be the first time... :icon_cry: Anyway, here is what I have so far and it works good except I want the distortions to flip flop, right now both are independent.

Seljer

Ah. What I described is probably easiest to realise with just switches. Instead of one switch for each distortion you'd have a switch for 'distortion a/b' and 'distortion on/off'.

If you still want each distortion to have its own on/off switch, just for them to toggle when you turn one on while the other already is then you need some relays and/or digital logic. I think it can be done with some diodes and flip flops (or with latching relays).

fretzburner

Check my layout for 3 buttons 3 FX switcher

jpeg image hosting

Maybe LED switching can be modified to visualize which FX is firing when SW1 activated.Feel free to modify

DavenPaget

Hiatus

J0K3RX

Ok, I got it all sorted out and it works great!  It has an independent on/off for the OD, the center switch works as a master for the two Distortions and the third switch alternates between Distortion 1 and Distortion 2... Perfect!!!

Here is the link to the diagram I made if anybody is interested...  Copy and past it into you browser.
dl.dropbox.com/u/11178619/Tdrwd2.JPG