News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

MXR Noise Gate

Started by craigmillard, January 11, 2012, 04:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigmillard

Hi Guys!

I have recently built the MXR noise gate from tonepad and have a semi working effect! :P The only issue I have is that the sensitivity pot only works for the last 10% of the pot rotation!? I have seen the build reports on tonepad and the various threads regarding issues with this build on here but nothing seems to make a difference. I have played around with the RA value and also the IC feedback loop but nothing seems to extend the pot sensitivity.
Am I missing something here? What parts do i need to change to increase the sensitivity of the effect?

What i am actually after is for the noise gate to cut into the notes played a bit to allow for a gated sort of sound, at the moment the sensitivity pot only cuts the background hiss down?

Any ideas? ???

Cheers
Craig

CurtisWCole

What about the taper and value of the sensitivity pot?

Curtis
Composers shouldn't think too much - it interferes with their plagiarism.
Howard Dietz

craigmillard

Im currently using a linear taper 500k pot, did try a 1m pot but only made the area smaller for selection. Will give a log pot a go tonight though.

Its odd because the sensitivity pot kicks in and then no change for the rest of the travel! :-\

Anyone think that the 1M resistor that everyone talks about for the volume drop may be worth changing?

Craig

Govmnt_Lacky

The build DOES call for a 500K Log pot  8)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

craigmillard

Lol how did i miss that! Thanks Govmnt_Lacky! :icon_redface:

craigmillard

Any ideas on how to boost the sensitivity of the pedal so that it gates into the playing notes? like a mis-biased fuzz?

Fender3D

Quote from: craigmillard on January 11, 2012, 12:01:16 PM
Any ideas on how to boost the sensitivity of the pedal so that it gates into the playing notes? like a mis-biased fuzz?

You won't boost the sensitivity, since the higher the signal the lower the attenuation in this pedal...
You may lower the 1M feedback resistor on IC1a thus obtaining a lower signal driving Q2, but this eventually will work passing the signal peaks and gating the lower signal tail...

If your looking for a "random" gate effect you might hook a S/H circuit to FET...
Though I guess you'd better mod a Maestro FSH swapping VCFs with VCAs
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

craigmillard

Hi Guys,

Im still having issues with this noise gate:(

It works well apart from the sensitivity control only works in the last 10%, i have put a log pot on it and has made no difference.

Any other ideas?

Also I tried Fender3d's idea and it didn't make a huge difference to the aggressiveness of the gate. I was hoping to be able to make the gate a bit more aggressive!:(

What ya think?

runmikeyrun

Quote from: craigmillard on January 11, 2012, 12:01:16 PM

you could try doug deepers Random Number Generator, it's a pretty simple build and sounds right about like that... fuzzy and splattery.  In my build the pot doesn't even do anything so you could just use an enclosure with a switch and LED!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women