Drilling enclosures

Started by alex_spaceman, January 11, 2012, 09:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex_spaceman

Hi all, about to get on with my first projects (dano re housing and octave fuzz) and wanted to double check what you suggest to drill enclosures.

I have a hammer drill, would that work for the purpose? or would be smoother with a regular, non-impact, cordless drill?

Any advice/suggestion/personal experiences?

Thanks in advice!
Alex

bsmcc2010

If you can turn off the hammer function on your drill it should be fine-mine is a hammer and i can just turn the hammer on or off. Never drilled with it on but i'm assuming it won't be good.

Use a paper template and masking tape it to the enclosure-or just draw on the masking tape in pencil to show you where to drill.

Centre punch all the holes.

Then drill pilot holes-i use a 2mm bit

The on those pilot holes use the size bit that you want each hole to be.

Works perfect for me every time. Just make sure you use HSS bits.

Good Luck!

Govmnt_Lacky

Step bits/Unibits work like a charm!  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

fuzzy645

I use a drill press.  They are not expensive, and if get even modestly deep into either this hobby or working on guitars a drill press is invaluable.

CodeMonk

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 11, 2012, 09:30:26 AM
Step bits/Unibits work like a charm!  ;)

Drill press and a Uni-Bits work wonderfully.

GGBB

If you decide to go with regular drill bits (not the step-bits which are definitely the way to go), drill the larger holes in steps with progressively larger bits sizes - maybe 1/16-3/32 steps.  Also, with the aluminum type enclosures, a good sharp steel bit will go through fairly easily so use a slow speed - especially with larger bit sizes - and don't feel that you have to push really hard.  And when you center punch, don't punch too hard on the hollow box - put a block of wood underneath to prevent indenting the metal.
  • SUPPORTER

alex_spaceman

Thanks a lot for the input.

I already have my eyes on a titanium step bit and an HSS 2mm bit. My only concern is about my drill being a hammer drill, not sure if the extra hammering movement could be a problem or make it "slippery"? Anyone ever had a go wit a hammer drill?

Thank you guys!

GGBB

I've never tried it, but instinct tells me you do NOT want to use a hammer drill.  All the hammer drills I have used have a switch to disable the hammer action and make it an ordinary drill.
  • SUPPORTER

Ice-9

The hammer action is for drilling through brick and concrete materials, you MUST turn off the hammer action to drill metals. Most hammer drills will have a slide switch (or similar) which turns on or off the hammer action.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

DavenPaget

I've said before , you have to go slow and switch off your hammer on a hammer power drill . Slow as in turn the speed switch to the lowest setting ( usually '6' )
or you can use a cordless drill .
Hiatus

Maik

As a german "Maschinenbauer" I would prefer drilling without hammer. Must be funny to drill metal with a hammer-function. The drill will start jumping ;D
2mm drill-speed up the machine to the highest speed. When drilling 8-12mm slow the drill down.

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Maik