Correct shipping of an assembled PCB?

Started by Dumpster Diver, January 11, 2012, 09:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster Diver

I Had a problem With my Gristleizer build and Have to ship it back to Endangered Audio for repair.

I think I am supposed to get a proper static bag or something now that the board is all together and powering up?
I have never shipped an assembled PCB before, what should I do? Someone mentioned nano sparks to me and I'm all concered now... :icon_neutral:

And I guess I will use the original USPS box it came in, though it's a little bit tighter, or is that going to be bad?

suggestions?

Thanks
-J
Whats wrong with it, Its broken, its broken!!!

familyortiz

Yeah, a proper ESD bag is the way to go. It's important to note that the "pink poly" type of bags are not near as protective as the metallized plastic bags. If you have some black conductive foam, you could also ship it surrounded in this, but you'd have to make sure it's thoroughly covered.  good luck.

slacker

If it's already broken why worry about the small chance of it getting more broken on it's way back for repair?

ORK

Is the Gristleizer that ESD-sensitive? Or are the components protected better mechanically by bubbles or foam or the like?

Dumpster Diver

See, this is why I ask such a newb question.

The components were originaly shipped here in what I beleive are just regular plastic bags, so there could be my problem in the first place...something in the circuit could have been damaged from the get-go, I don't know how sensative the circuit is to ESD, but why risk it? 
Let me re-phrase, It's not "broken", it's just not making all the connections or I missed a ground someplace. IT 'works', but not correctly. (see the Gristleizer Thread where I gave details of problems) like I said, I can't troubleshoot because the Diagram PDF I recieved was barely Legible. Better to send it back in.
Just would rather be safe than sorry.  If I can't get my hands on a proper ESD bag, I've got some foam to spare.

Thanks Boys! 

Dumpster Diver

I just found out it wouldn't be necessary to ship the gristleizer In An ESD bag.

the only things that might be at risk are the IC's and possibly transistors.

anyway I was advised to send it back in the Stompbox case.