Combo Tremolo / Chorus

Started by familyortiz, January 25, 2012, 12:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

familyortiz

Greetings,
Anything out there like this? I am configuring a new pedal setup and want to try and cover both bases with one pedal.   Regards,  M.O.

Mark Hammer

Not really, since although they might share an LFO for modulation purposes, they would work off different technologies or "engines".  Too far apart, really, to get a "two-fer".

asatbluesboy

Maybe a double (normal and reversed) LFO driving two optocouplers: one driving a Tremulus Lune-like tremolo and the other driving a delay clock? I don't know nearly enough theory to even sketch it, though... :icon_redface:
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

nocentelli

You can do a tremelo/vibrato quite easily -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/Leeroyfunk/MagnavibeSchem_reedraw.png

This kind of simple two transistor vibrato can be made into a tremelo by simply switching the LDR from Q1 emitter to ground (and lowering R5 a bit to compensate for the perceived volume drop).

Chorus is a different matter altogether.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Mark Hammer

I'm a little vague about the intent of the OP.  Is the goal to have:
- one pedal that does both with a lower cost and smaller footprint than two separate pedals?
- a pedal that lets one switch between the two effects in real time, without having to lose the "pulse" of the LFO?
- a pedal that lets one combine the two effects i some novel way?

Seven64

magnus modulus.  you also get a delay  :P

familyortiz

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 25, 2012, 03:08:12 PM
I'm a little vague about the intent of the OP.  Is the goal to have:
- one pedal that does both with a lower cost and smaller footprint than two separate pedals?
- a pedal that lets one switch between the two effects in real time, without having to lose the "pulse" of the LFO?
- a pedal that lets one combine the two effects i some novel way?

I think your first goal is the most accurate. I started out by thinking of using my Zoom 606 to cover both effects but that unit isn't the quietest. It would be cool to see an all in one unit to cover more "ambient" type effects, for lack of a better term, that could be inserted into an effects loop. It sounds like the different engines needed would end up approaching the use of individual pedals. 

ugly_guitar_guy

...or go for 2 1590A designs for a trem and chorus. If you planned it properly you could probably squeeze two 1590A circuits into a 1590B box. That'd be a hell of a squeeze!
Check out my metal band here: www.facebook.com/hollowshell
or
my personal effects building page here: www.facebook.com/brotronics

asatbluesboy

Quote from: nocentelli on January 25, 2012, 03:05:46 PM
You can do a tremelo/vibrato quite easily -

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/Leeroyfunk/MagnavibeSchem_reedraw.png

This kind of simple two transistor vibrato can be made into a tremelo by simply switching the LDR from Q1 emitter to ground (and lowering R5 a bit to compensate for the perceived volume drop).

Chorus is a different matter altogether.
Isn't chorus = vibrato + dry? I was thinking about summing 3 signals: tremolo, vibrato and dry. Not sure that's what the OP wanted, though.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.