Help with Bipolar supply

Started by tom42107, January 25, 2012, 12:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom42107

I was wondering if this was possible. I've made a few 6.3 and 12.6vdc regulators with a LM317 and they have worked well. I now want to modify a bipolar supply I built to include a 6.3vdc regulator. Just wasn't sure how it would affect the rest of the supply. Still learning.

Tom

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/Bipolar+with+Reg.png.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

petemoore

6.3vdc for tube heater ?
  ...Would draw a lot of current, and might be serious enough load on the 1/2 of the bipolar supply to make that side sag ?
  With no load except the regulator...don't see why it wouldn't work. 
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Pablo1234

I almost always do bipolar on all voltages for balancing. I do a lot of mixed signal stuff so 5Vdc is always part of my designs but when I do them if I am feeding multiple boards or circuits with little to no interaction I will use 5 V for one and +0 to -5V for another as long as the circuits are isolated. this reduces and adds problems but can be an elegant solution, if the heater pins are isolated from common then do 6.3 - 0 -6.3 and do every other tube with the -6.3. Also you could do +3.15 -3.15 and it would be balanced as long as the heaters don't need ground reference.

tom42107

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I was actually looking for an extra 12vdc to supply something else, not heaters. This is for a tube circuit but I am using a separate transformer and regulator circuit for the heaters. I think I'll try it and see what happens. Thanks.

Tom