Fuzz Face stuttering/farting issue

Started by FuzzFace_EXP, January 27, 2012, 07:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuzzFace_EXP

I'm build a SI fuzz face with BC108 transistor. This is my third go at one of these the first sounds great the second was a complete failure and let it go. I started from scratch today again this time with a little bit more luck i actually got some sound! The tittle says it all. I'm getting horrible stuttering sound and farting sound out of this fuzz. I took some voltages for the fist time so i just want to confirm that the process I'm doing is correct to get the voltages right. I plugged in the stereo jack  plugged the battery i put the black probe of the ddm on ground and the read where i want to read the voltages volume pot at 0 and fuzz pot at full. If that's incorrect please let me know. Hear are the voltages i got.

Q1
E: 0V
B: 0.66
C: 5.25 (this reading varied a couple of times it went from some where around 4 and 7)

Q2
E: 4.47
B: 5.22
C: 5.10 (this one also varied very little)

Thanks!

Andre

petemoore

I plugged in the stereo jack 
  Power gets to going through a mono plug when it's sleeve touches both the ring-and-sleeve of the stereo jack, completing the 'switch' connection for power circuit.
  If you get any voltages the power .must. be connected.
plugged the battery i put the black probe of the ddm on ground and the read where i want to read the voltages volume pot at 0 and fuzz pot at full. If that's incorrect please let me know. Hear are the voltages i got.
  The ground of the circuit comes through the cable sleeve from the amplifier. Just a point: note that all points marked ground should read 0.0vdc and connect to all other point marked ground.
   Q2C resistor [the amplifiers output bias resistor, usually 8k2 or 18k2...just above the collector/before the output...may need to be adjusted to better bias the circuit.
   The supply voltage...all the measurements will be 'some' proportion to the supply potential, we know the battery is at least 5.25v, but not what proportion 5.25 is of ?.??v. We need the battery voltage...could be a dead battery even.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

FuzzFace_EXP

Ok so i reached everything. I plugged in the mono jack. I measured the battery and got 9.52v. I checked the joints at every point no cold solder. checked my wiring and nothing is incorrect.

Solidhex

The collector voltage of Q1 is crazy high. Should only be around .5V are you absolutely sure you have a 33K resistor in there and not like a 3K3 or something?

FuzzFace_EXP

Quote from: Solidhex on January 27, 2012, 03:16:53 PM
  The collector voltage of Q1 is crazy high. Should only be around .5V are you absolutely sure you have a 33K resistor in there and not like a 3K3 or something?
yup i dobled checked just i case i made that mistake but its a 33k resistor.

PRR

There's too much resistance Q2 Emitter to ground.
  • SUPPORTER

FuzzFace_EXP

so what do you guys recommend i do to fix this? I'm sorry I'm not that good with the technical aspect of building pedals. When it comes to putting them together I'm fine but I'm not so good at debugging. There are alot technical terms i don't understand i might be annoying to some. Im sorry. Im still a newb :icon_lol:.

Thanks

Andre

LucifersTrip

Quote from: FuzzFace_EXP on January 28, 2012, 02:26:27 AM
so what do you guys recommend i do to fix this? I'm sorry I'm not that good with the technical aspect of building pedals. When it comes to putting them together I'm fine but I'm not so good at debugging. There are alot technical terms i don't understand i might be annoying to some. Im sorry. Im still a newb :icon_lol:.

Thanks

Andre

you never linked to the exact schematic you used or mentioned if you made any subs.

there is most likely a miswiring/short/bad joint or bad/wrong component.   Is this on a breadboard?

Either way, a clear close-up may help someone spot an error.

good luck
always think outside the box

petemoore

Counting a node...count the number of connections exactly and see that the board matches the schematic exactly...no extra traces...then look at anything that has a directional indicator [transistor has a B/E arrow, as does the diode and any polarized capacitors, these must be polarized correctly...
   Si transistors will generally put up with a little reverse polarity, the B/E diode can be tested, the transistor gain can be plugged into the DMM, so these can be tested.
   Diodes outside of transistors can also be checked using the DMM.
   Reverse polarized capacitors can be tossed...suspected as damaged...then just tossed because there's no way to tell [for most of us] whether it's bad for sure.
   Move on to the next node.
    The gain section configuration on the FF is a good place to practice node counts because it's somewhat convoluted in that area, writing down exactly what connects to a node at a time, and polarity of that node, around this gain section helped me find FF miswires.
  Every one of the nodes must be correct for it to become a FF circuit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

FuzzFace_EXP

I used the original Isa2 fuzz face board with the original wiring. Ill try to post some pics tonight or tomarrow.