MN3005 sighting. Good value OR SCAM??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, February 07, 2012, 03:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Came across this today....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IC-PANASONI-DIP-8-MN3005-/250814851196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a65bae87c

Has anyone had any experience with polida2008?

Are these just re-labeled 3008s?

If they are true-to-form 3005s, then this is a great deal.  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

jbgron

They look OK to me, the fact he's sold 74 and has 99.7% positive feedback is a good indicator too.  I'm happy to be the guinea pig on this one, I just bought 2.  I'll post again and let everyone know if they're genuine.

Govmnt_Lacky

I was a bit suspect after reading some of the negative feedbacks. Almost all of them listed their complaints as either DID NOT RECEIVE or FAKES  :-\

Just wanted to know if anyone here had a good experience with the seller.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

jbgron

I've bought op-amps from him in the past and had no problems.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jbgron on February 07, 2012, 03:43:12 PM
I've bought op-amps from him in the past and had no problems.

A small sign of good news  ;)

Ya' know... with all of these MN series chips available, either NOS or knock offs, it makes me wonder why no one can re-issue some of the SAD BBD chips  ???

pravudh

I had no experience with polida2008?.
but long time ago I brough 2 of MN3005 from ebay and finally they were Re-Label 
with acitone clean up MN3005  become MN3208  :icon_evil:

Govmnt_Lacky

UPDATE:

After some sniffing around, I decided to contact polida2008 with this message:

Are these MN3005 chips 4096-stage delay BBD chips?

Are these the same as MN3008 with just a different number stamp?

Here is the reply I received:

Dear,
Sorry I cannot answer it.
Pls see the description in my list.
If you are interested in them, pls purchase in EBAY directly.

I really don't know how to read into this. I asked 2 straight forward questions about their authenticity and with this reply it sounds like he either 1) Does not know anything about the parts he is selling -or - 2) He does not want to admit anything in case of a dispute.

jrod

^^^That does sound suspicious to me! One thing I would ask for is photos of the exact chips I was purchasing since he may be posting stock photos. But with the answers he provided to your questions it does not sound like he is willing to do that for you.

Govmnt_Lacky

UPDATE 2:

My message to polida2008:

I want to know if the MN3005 are authentic.

You say that you test them before delivery but, that means nothing if they are being tested as MN3008 or MN3208.

Response from polida 2008:

I am angry about your words.Pls contact other sellers.

I think it is safe to say that I will NOT be doing business with polida2008  >:(

azrael

jbgron

The only way to know is to buy them.  I've bought about 15 MN3005 from eBay in the past and only 2 of them have been fakes.  It's a no-brainer for PayPal to refund your money for counterfeit goods so I'm willing to take the risk.  We're only talking about $12.50 here.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jbgron on February 08, 2012, 02:07:02 PM
The only way to know is to buy them.  I've bought about 15 MN3005 from eBay in the past and only 2 of them have been fakes.  It's a no-brainer for PayPal to refund your money for counterfeit goods so I'm willing to take the risk.  We're only talking about $12.50 here.

$25 if you bought two  :P

Recently being the victim of Paypal's nonsense policies (i.e. the buyer's remorse on the MXR flanger I sold) I would rather do my investigating up front and from what I have received from the seller, I am not convinced it would turn out good.

I do however, hope that it turns out well for you jbgron  ;D

Please post back with your experiences so others can take advantage if it turns out to be LEGIT!!  ;)

chi_boy

For what it's worth, I had good luck with funkward-tech on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150719453864?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I bought 2 MN3005, 2 MN3008, and 3 MN3007.  All checked out good.  The 3005's weren't cheep, but they worked.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

Mark Hammer

I think you asked polida2008 the wrong questions and they interpreted it as impuning their honesty, responding as any of us might in the same circumstance.

Perhaps WE are aware of various relabellings that have happened here and there, but that doesn't mean everyone in the world is.  Most counterfeit money or goods are passed on by someone who does not know it is counterfeit.  The brevity of the note (and possibly polida2008's limited skill in English, I don't know) suggests they might be knowingly passing on counterfeit goods.  Understandably, they take offense.

It is not unreasonable to write back to this individual, apologizing for your initial tone, and indicating that you had heard from friends of many cases where these rare chips had been relabelled, and you just wanted some assurances.  Since polida2008 will have gotten them from somewhere else, you are interested in knowing how confident they are about their source.  It is not unreasonable to ask if, should the chips turn out to be different than what the seller thought they were, there was any sort of return policy.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jbgron on February 07, 2012, 03:33:22 PM
They look OK to me, the fact he's sold 74 and has 99.7% positive feedback is a good indicator too.  I'm happy to be the guinea pig on this one, I just bought 2.  I'll post again and let everyone know if they're genuine.

Any news on these Mike? I know its only been a week  :icon_redface:

jbgron

Only that he's posted them.  I'm in Australia, usually takes about 10 days from Honkers.  I'll keep you posted.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jbgron on February 14, 2012, 12:28:45 PM
Only that he's posted them.  I'm in Australia, usually takes about 10 days from Honkers.  I'll keep you posted.

Any updates?

jbgron

Govmnt_Lacky

chi_boy

Slow boat from China.    ;)

Ordered a couple too.  The estimated delivery date is March 14th.   :icon_eek:

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page