MN3005 sighting. Good value OR SCAM??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, February 07, 2012, 03:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschoolanalog

V3205 is starting to look better & better. Eh?  ;D
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

chi_boy

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on February 20, 2012, 11:28:32 PM
V3205 is starting to look better & better. Eh?  ;D

Yes.  Yes it is.

Now to find a nice circuit that plays well with the V3205.  Any suggestions?
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

jbgron

I built this with v3205's, sounds brilliant and I use it all the time.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=63923.0

However, I wouldn't buy v3205's instead of 3005's.

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: chi_boy on February 20, 2012, 11:53:04 PM
Madbean DirtBag Deluxe. You can use MN/V3205 or MN3005 in this DMM inspired analog delay.
Nice :icon_cool:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

chi_boy

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on February 21, 2012, 06:24:26 AM
Quote from: chi_boy on February 20, 2012, 11:53:04 PM
Madbean DirtBag Deluxe. You can use MN/V3205 or MN3005 in this DMM inspired analog delay.
Nice :icon_cool:

Yes, that's a nice project.   I built one with MN3005's and it sounds great, but it needs some tuning.  The delayed signal is really hot and is causing a couple of minor issues.   

From what I read, there were distortion issues with the V3205 chips.   Bean published a solution, but he didn't sound perfectly pleased with it.   I have some chips that I will try just the same.

The AD3208 looks interesting too.  It's almost exactly a WHAP.   I have it in Eagle now for an update but have been struggling with the layout.   
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

Mark Hammer

Note that the AD3208 was essentially a project in that period when Beiling had started producing 3208 chips, all the Matsushita MN3005 chips were pretty much used up, but Coolaudio hadn't yet started producing MN3205 clones.

The MN3205 and its Coolaudio clone are pin-for-pin compatible and CAN function perfectly in place of a 3208 to yield longer delay times.  So consider sticking a pair of them in an AD3208 for more delay time.

jrod

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 21, 2012, 11:25:54 AM
Note that the AD3208 was essentially a project in that period when Beiling had started producing 3208 chips, all the Matsush*ta MN3005 chips were pretty much used up, but Coolaudio hadn't yet started producing MN3205 clones.

The MN3205 and its Coolaudio clone are pin-for-pin compatible and CAN function perfectly in place of a 3208 to yield longer delay times.  So consider sticking a pair of them in an AD3208 for more delay time.

Oh, that would be cool! Is there any modifications required that you are aware?

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

jrod

^^^ Awesome! This looks like a great project!

rustypinto

I built the AD3208 before, its a nice project.

The V3205 is also a great chip. A lot of people complain about distortion/ clipping, but thats common with ANY BBD. The circuit surrounding the BBD is critical and it can be tuned with great results.

Proof:

http://soundcloud.com/youngpedals/time-stomp-proto

(This circuit uses 3xV3205's. The reproductions seem to have slightly more white noise (than MN30XX/MN32XX) to my ears, but the delayed notes are just as good.)
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

fwiw,
i bought 10 mn3007's from this source for my clone theory project, and they all work great...i gave one to a friend, but am keeping the rest.

i gave the guy wicked good feedback on evilbay, and have bought from him several times now.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jbgron on February 07, 2012, 03:33:22 PM
They look OK to me, the fact he's sold 74 and has 99.7% positive feedback is a good indicator too.  I'm happy to be the guinea pig on this one, I just bought 2.  I'll post again and let everyone know if they're genuine.

Still no word on these  ???
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

chi_boy

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 27, 2012, 08:37:57 AM
Quote from: jbgron on February 07, 2012, 03:33:22 PM
They look OK to me, the fact he's sold 74 and has 99.7% positive feedback is a good indicator too.  I'm happy to be the guinea pig on this one, I just bought 2.  I'll post again and let everyone know if they're genuine.

Still no word on these  ???

They're on a REALLY slow boat from China.   

The Leftover PCB Page

Govmnt_Lacky

jbgron

What does a Chinaman do when he has an erection?
He votes!

Couldn't resist.  In all seriousness though, some sellers on eBay abuse the 45 day PayPal claim rule.  They will string you along for 45 days saying your item has been posted etc then go completely silent once the 45 days has expired.  Remember to file a claim before 45 days has expired.  Still no joy with my ICs, hopefully not too much longer.

Govmnt_Lacky

Maybe Jimi or one of the other prior purchasers can chime in and say if their shipment took a long time.

It does state in black and white in his listing that shipping to the USA and Australia is 10-20 days.

chi_boy

Paid for mine on 2/14 and the estimated delivery is 3/1 to 3/14.   Should be under 30 days so enough time to file a claim if need be.   

The Leftover PCB Page

chi_boy

Well, mine came in today.  15 days shipping, so right on time.

I tested them in a Madbean Aquaboy and one chip is good.  The repeats sound good in the 300 - 350ms range.  The repeats will go to 450ms with the clock trimmer cranked, but the repeats are unusable.  I just test it that way to make sure it isn't an MN3008. 

The other chip is nonfunctional.  No delay at all, so I can't say it's a fake.  I emailed the seller and will have to see what they say.  I hope I don't have to ship back the bad one.  I don't like international shipping.

FWIW, I bought 3 MN3005 and 4 MN3008 from funkward-tech, also on eBay.  His prices are just a little [painfully] higher, but all of the chips checked out perfectly.

The Leftover PCB Page

jbgron

My ICs arrived today and I'm happy to report that both are genuine!  I think the fake MN3005 on eBay thing has been blown way out of proportion, sure there are fakes out there but as I said earlier I've bought 15+ from a variety of sellers and only 2 have been fake.

Scruffie

Quote from: jbgron on February 29, 2012, 01:57:07 AM
My ICs arrived today and I'm happy to report that both are genuine!  I think the fake MN3005 on eBay thing has been blown way out of proportion, sure there are fakes out there but as I said earlier I've bought 15+ from a variety of sellers and only 2 have been fake.
I'd say you're just insanely lucky! It's not been blown out of proportion, i've watched manyyyyy people be scammed.