How clean is my power supply

Started by Beo, February 08, 2012, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beo

I have a pile of wall warts of various ratings, and a Small Wart I built from small bear. I rewired an 18v wart to work with a small Behringer mixer which I bought used without a power supply... it's working well. I'm thinking ahead about using a wall wart as positive ground for a FuzzFace/Octavia project.

What is the best way to evaluate how clean the power is from these various sources. I have an oscilloscope... should I simply look at 60Hz frequencies and it's multiples and look for spikes? If I want to add filtering, is the oscilloscope the way to analyze the effectiveness? Or is real world application the best test? In which case, which circuit is a good one to use as worst case susceptibility to noisy power?

Pablo1234

I would say use a load to draw expected current from the supply and then look at it. check for voltage level changes with and without load, AC signal levels and switching noise.

DavenPaget

Try looking at the scope when the PS is at full load , there you know how "clean" it is .
Hiatus

Beo

Quote from: DavenPaget on February 08, 2012, 06:35:36 AM
Try looking at the scope when the PS is at full load , there you know how "clean" it is .

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to line up some power resistors or higher watt pot for testing this. I suspect a standard 1/4W resistor will pop testing at higher current, athough I haven't fried anything yet pedal building.

Mark Hammer

I say you invite Kim and Aggie over, and have them give it the once over:  http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-clean-is-your-house

frank_p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNNNJ29xeFE

end of the vid.

you don't have to be a geek to see ripple on your scope...

DavenPaget

Quote from: Beo on February 08, 2012, 02:55:28 PM
Quote from: DavenPaget on February 08, 2012, 06:35:36 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to line up some power resistors or higher watt pot for testing this. I suspect a standard 1/4W resistor will pop testing at higher current, athough I haven't fried anything yet pedal building.
Or just use a automotive lamp if it is only 12/9v . Some of them can really go to 60 over watts .
Easy way out .
Hiatus

DavenPaget

Quote from: frank_p on February 08, 2012, 05:10:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNNNJ29xeFE

end of the vid.

you don't have to be a geek to see ripple on your scope...

Unless you're blind ( then again , how do you see capacitors numbers ? )
You really shouldn't say you can't see ripple ... A perfect power supply is a flat line .
Hiatus

frank_p

Quote from: DavenPaget on February 09, 2012, 11:41:38 AM
then again , how do you see capacitors numbers

You test (the caps, not the entire power supply) with a square wave, a current limiting resistor and a diode to cut out the negative part.

Quote from: DavenPaget on February 09, 2012, 11:41:38 AM
You really shouldn't say you can't see ripple ... A perfect power supply is a flat line .

???
I don't understand what you mean...
If I see ripples, I see ripples; if I don't, I don't.    :D