Your vote for best PCB software?

Started by guitarrob, February 11, 2012, 11:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

davent

Quote from: Paul Marossy on January 12, 2013, 08:44:21 PM
I like ExpressPCB

Me too! Free and incredibly easy to figure out for doing diy boards.

If i ever need or want a board produced commercially, chances are pretty good that someone already has a PCB available for sale for a far less then what it would cost me to send out a gerber file and have a pcb produced.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Keppy

I draw my layouts manually in Illustrator. I use the layering function so I can see the traces under the components under the graphics under the drilling template, and select any or all that I want to see at one time. It's not free, and it's nowhere near automatic for this type of thing, but it allows me to keep an entire project in one place. As I've gotten used to it, I've had far fewer problems with stuff running into other stuff because I can see everything at once, and I've been able to use more board-mounted pots and switches because my drilling template is overlaid on the PCB.

Funny thing is, I do schematics in Eagle, but I've never done a layout with it.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

John Lyons

Someone needs to reverse engineer express PCB with gerber output!!
Dave?  :D 
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

MoltenVoltage

Quote from: John Lyons on January 12, 2013, 10:54:18 PM

No doubt.

I still use Express PCB to draw schematics for datasheets, but Eagle for making layouts.
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

davent

Quote from: John Lyons on January 12, 2013, 10:54:18 PM

Oh man... i'm so shallow i couldn't even scratch the surface.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

jymaze

I think that basically Design Spark is the same core as Express PCB, but with unbridled output (including Gerber).