Wampler Plexi Drive HELP

Started by vince37, May 12, 2012, 04:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vince37

Hi, I've built the plexi drive from Marks layout attached. My tone control has no impact at all, I have even unsoldered it completely and it has no effect on the sound. Everything else works as it should. I have tried the tone wire on all the lugs etc but nothing happens?

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/wampler-plexi-drive.html

J0K3RX

lug 1 goes to the 10n cap and lugs 2 and 3 are joined with a jumper and go to ground...right? Make sure the 10n is not connected to anything else on strip 9 and only connected to 15k resistor on strip 11...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Ronan

I built one recently, the tone control works, you are doing something wrong. There's only 2 components in the tone control circuit, a capacitor and a variable resistor. Have you checked that your pot is good?

vince37

Hi, I know. Thats what is so frustrating. I've scored in between the tracks. all cuts are correct. All components are correct. I've replaced the tone pot 3 times. This really is bizarre. I'm about to bin it and forget about as I've rebuilt it twice with the same results. The tone has no effects at all. Even if i prod it with the tone 1 wire, theres is no crackle or pop etc?

It would'nt be anything to so with grounding would it?

J0K3RX

A picture is as good as a thousand words :icon_wink:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

IvIark

Are you sure your 10n caps are ok, and the pot?

vince37

Hi Mark... nursing a hangover?

I've changed the pot 3 times and I can remove the 10n cap with no effect to the sound. Somehow the tone seems completely bypassed.
This is the second time of building it with same results.

(My camera is playing up so I can't take any pics yet

vince37

Just plugged in again to check and now it is completely dead. I'm done with. Wasn't meant to be.

Thanks anyway chaps.

shipperstition

So, did you resolve the problem or not. Please, I have the same thing on plexi drive. Why???? thx.

Paul Marossy

Wampler is a member at this forum although I haven't seen him here for a while. I don't know that he would be too happy to see his commercial circuits showing up here...