Are there any wah builds you can recommend that sound something like this?

Started by fleeps, May 17, 2012, 01:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleeps

If I can find a diy wah project that sounds something like this I'd like to build it....

I like the tone and the fact it has a huge sweep
any recommendations?

Cheers

Mark Hammer

Sounds very much like a 2-pole lowpass filter rather than a wah. 

fleeps

Chugs

The Freaker wah is a Tycobrahe parapedal clone with some mods. If you google "Tycobrahe parapedal schematic" in goggle images the first hit that comes up is the schematic. Done by R.G I believe.

fleeps

joegagan

you can do a similar thing with two wahs in series, provided the 2nd one in line has a HUGe sweep cap, ie .8 etc.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

fleeps

Quote from: joegagan on May 17, 2012, 08:01:42 PM
you can do a similar thing with two wahs in series, provided the 2nd one in line has a HUGe sweep cap, ie .8 etc....

Lol!!  that's huge! I like it, I'll definitely be having some fun with this!  However, there is the portability issue - if I ever wanted to gig/rehearse with this in my set up I know it'll annoy me carrying around an extra Wah.  I wonder if you can fit the two wah internals into a single wah chassis?

joegagan

yes, you could. i liked the flexibility of being able to turn my foot sideways and activate one more than the other, more tonal range. but you are correct, it takes up a lot of room.

* didn't mean to derail, i actually like the parapedal variants a lot as well! wilson builds a nice wah, however the chinese shells and cheap pots combined with less-than-tight nuts make for so-so quality. i bought and sold a wilson wah, had to recondition it so it was sale-worthy.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

i wired them up so they share power and are permanently plugged into each other. this lets them sit very close together. only thing left to do is make one big bottom plate that holds them together.

fleeps

I'm glad you did "derail", your two wahs in series looks fun!  I'll be borrowing my bro's crybaby to try this out soon!

Meanwhile, I found the Tycobrahe Parapedal Vero thread and the schematic and layout on geofex.com.  I don't like veros (probably because my lack of soldering skills), so I'll be trying out the geofex one.

Thanks joegagan